Author Topic: Fence Question  (Read 11587 times)

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
Fence Question
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:15:34 am »
On another post Mary mentioned not needing a fence. That got me hopeful. I have 2 pry pups now and need to prepare for when they get bigger.

We have 20 acres. My house is in the middle. Parts are fenced for horses but a Pry can get in and out. Will I really need adog  fence after I get both dogs fixed? I was hoping to let them run the whole property.

If you think I will need one--by what age?

Thanks,
Robin
Robin

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Fence Question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 05:10:43 am »
Pyrs need to guard a huge territory...th ere is no limit for them. If you have an acre they need five, if you have five...they need 20 and so on. They will run away no matter how much you will train them.
Lily pretty much stopped listening and following me around at 4 months. At 5 I almost lost her  :'( stinker  >:(
They don't need a huge fenced area. Half of an acre will do  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 02:10:08 pm »
Fencing with a Pyr is mandatory if you do not want to lose them. Pyrenees are known to take off and just keep going, thats why so many end up in rescue or the shelters. We have 5 foot field fencing that is double reinforced in some areas and we are seriously considering a hot wire. Dont take the chance that they wont leave,chances are, they will.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 01:04:50 am »
One of the reasons we chose a Newfie over a Pyr was that most of the Pyr breeders I emailed mentioned that they like to wander and bark.  I'd fence in at least an acre now.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 01:08:59 am »
My pyrs can easily jump a four foot fence, so we have six foot fencing all around.  They will sometimes try to dig under the front gate, so we dug about a foot down and filled it with cement.  They will also occasionally check the latch with their noses, so we've had to put brackets at the top, middle and bottom of the front gate that we keep 2 X 4's in.  This also ensures that nobody can get into our backyard and accidentally let the dogs escape.

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 03:11:11 am »
We have 6 acres of land...but fenced in 3/4 of an acre with 6-foot chain link.  I would have liked to have Invisible Fencing but Samson, our 'Malamutt' was epileptic and any proximity to electric current could set off a seizure.  Sam went to the Rainbow Bridge last year, but we've left the fence up.  Some of our dogs can be trusted to run our land, but Zildjian (dalmatian) and Ribbit (cocker mix) will run off any chance they get....and Bodhi will bumble along behind them!  They all got loose last summer....we got Zilly and Ribbit back within an hour, but Bodhi was missing for 3 days.  It was the worst 72 hours of my life, not knowing where he was or if he was safe!

Someone mentioned that their BP can jump a 4 foot fence...most of them can, so I recommend at least 5'.  Also, get some tent stakes to secure the fence to the ground.  Many dogs tunnel under if they can't get over!
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 06:25:07 am »
We have 700 acres of farm land, with the barn not 50' away from the house.  The way everything is situated for us makes fencing off certain areas very difficult.  Needless to say that although we definately need a fence at least around the house, we don't have one "yet".  This is not as much of a problem as you would think having a Pyr puppy around.  We're just very careful with her.  She never goes outside without a leash or lead on.  And she stays on leash untill we're far enough into the back fields that she can run as far as she likes and still not be near any roads.  However my girl is very food motivated so I always make sure I have her favorite treats in my pocket so I can call her back when I feel the need.   ;) :D

So although having a fenced yard does make life alot easier, it isn't always exactly neccessary as long as you are diligent, or don't mind keeping your pups on leash.  If having a fence installed isn't in the immediate future for you.  Make some time every day to go to a fenced in dog park if your in the city.  Or if in the country just find a big wide open space where they can explore and run, but still stay within eyesight.  And make sure you bring LOTS of they're fav treats.  Freeze dried Liver works every time.  Just get them used to the sound of it in the tin, and bring the tin with you with some pieces in it.  As soon as they hear that distinctive sound they'll come arunnin.   ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 06:57:10 am »
I don't think that a fully grown Pyr in case of "emergency" will listen to anyone or anything, even with favorite treats...he will take off and go as far as the instinct will take him
For example...Lily loves dog parks. She goes deaf to anything I say and plays like it is the last time she can do it. Yesterday we were at the park. Lily was playing with a bunch of dogs. Then, all the sudden, she lifted her head and started sniffing the air. She left everyone and was following the smell until she got to the fence and could not go further. When I went to see what it was, I saw a fox not far away. The next was barking, of course!
Their instinct is VERY VERY strong and when it's time to go, they will go!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 06:59:26 am by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 07:25:38 am »
I don't think that a fully grown Pyr in case of "emergency" will listen to anyone or anything, even with favorite treats...he will take off and go as far as the instinct will take him
For example...Lily loves dog parks. She goes deaf to anything I say and plays like it is the last time she can do it. Yesterday we were at the park. Lily was playing with a bunch of dogs. Then, all the sudden, she lifted her head and started sniffing the air. She left everyone and was following the smell until she got to the fence and could not go further. When I went to see what it was, I saw a fox not far away. The next was barking, of course!
Their instinct is VERY VERY strong and when it's time to go, they will go!

You're absolutely right.  I probably should've mentioned that when given the opportunity, Naja will and has taken off.  If we hold the front door open just a little too long bringing in groceries or whatever.  She will be gone with the wind following whatever scent her little nose has her on! 

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 12:34:09 am »
We have underground fencing and it has worked great for Phoebe she learned her boundries very quickly and she is able to be out on her own in the yard. We back up to a large pond and there is alot of ducks and geese that she really likes to keep her eye on.  I will say the biggest challenge for her is when the kids are out playing in the cul de sac she wants to be with them, andall I have to say is "Phoebe stay". She will even stay in her boundry when her favorite nieghbor dog is out for a potty break she just watches and wags her tale. We had a pyr. mix prior to Phoebe and she also did excellant with the undergroud fencing and we had her for 9 yrs. 
I know that people have warned against underground fencing and in fact we really wanted to rescue a Pyr. but because we did'nt have visible fencing we were not given that option.  It has worked great for us, each case is different.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

marypyrs

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 03:10:55 am »
I don't want to step on anyone's toes, or seem overly critical. However, this is a very good reason - or reasons - that good Breeders, dedicated Rescues, and those who have been owned by Pyrs for many years stress the importance of a visable fence for a Pyrenees or for a person to be completely dedicated to leash walking.

When a Pyr decides to "take off" there is no invisable fence in the world that can hold him/her back. Nor any electric fence. While still a puppy or a young dog they may appear to listen to commands and take a treat. But believe me, as they become older that ancient instint kicks in.

I don't want to hurt anyones feelings. But it would be far worse to have something happen that would hurt even more. Believe me. They're not going to look both ways when crossing a road. And they can travel 10 miles in the blink of an eye. Therefor being at risk of harm or being stolen.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 05:26:29 am »
Don't worry, there is no toe stepping here, I am still an inexperianced Pyr owner.  :) However Naja is still good at the moment for coming when called *usually*.  ;)  She will be 7 months old on December the 1st, and is getting into what I would assume would be the "bratty teenager stage" right now.  Should I start keeping her on leash now, or do you think that I still have a bit of time left before she starts realizing that treats are not worth coming back to mum for.  I do so love to watch her running through the hay fields, it looks like so much fun.   :D

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 06:34:15 am »

And they can travel 10 miles in the blink of an eye. Therefor being at risk of harm or being stolen.
One of the person I know had lost her Pyrs (well, they got out of the fence) for less than a day and they were found 13 miles down the road  :o :o :o Just a thought  ;)
Mary W. Crane

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 07:51:42 pm »
Don't worry, there is no toe stepping here, I am still an inexperianced Pyr owner.  :) However Naja is still good at the moment for coming when called *usually*.  ;)  She will be 7 months old on December the 1st, and is getting into what I would assume would be the "bratty teenager stage" right now.  Should I start keeping her on leash now, or do you think that I still have a bit of time left before she starts realizing that treats are not worth coming back to mum for.  I do so love to watch her running through the hay fields, it looks like so much fun.   :D

Well Jack was always a pretty good listener and so occasionally (late at night or very early in the morning) I would take him out to go potty off leash.  We live in a new development so at these times of day there is absolutely no traffic.  Jack (now 11 months old) also usually moves pretty slowly and is predictable so I wasn't concerned about him running off. However, last week I took him out at about 11pm and he was doing his business when he noticed the neighbor's little maltese/poodle across the street.  Usually he ignores him, but this time he decided he wanted to play I guess and he took off, way faster than I thought he could move, and ran right across the street to see the other dog.  He completely ignored my commands to "stop", "come" and even the old faithful "treat".  So even though it wasn't that big of a deal - the two dogs just said "hi", I went over and retrieved him and brought him back home - I learned my lesson and now he doesn't go out offleash - EVER.  That particular time there was no car, but next time there could be, and that particular dog & owner were nice, but next time he could encounter a not nice dog or a not very understanding owner.

As for letting them run around to play, we still do that in the backyard but they have 30 foot leashes attached to them and we each stay on one end of the yard so that if they try to make an escape you can grab the long leash.  You can still let them have some freedom in safe areas, but the leash is like a safety net that allows you a little more control. 

And who knows, as he grows and those instincts kick in we may not even feel comfortable having him loose with the long leash, we'll just have to see and make adjustments as time progresses.  Better safe than sorry is always my motto when it comes to my pups.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 04:44:51 am »
We have occasionally let Binky off leash in our field but she is definitely not too trustworthy.  However, I have a question:  How do working Pyrs guard their flocks?  I mean, if they're out in a giant field with goats, don't they just take off?  There's no way those Pyrs are fenced in and their instinct is supposed to be to protect their flock, so why aren't they more likely to stay around home?
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat