Author Topic: Fence Question  (Read 11539 times)

bigdogs@5501

Re: Fence Question
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 05:42:37 am »
Just from my experience, most of the Pyrs that I have known that were live stock dogs, they were bonded with thier live stock. I think that Pyrs wander when they get bored. We are trying to figure out what happened with the 2 that I pulled out of the shelter. They are obviously field dogs. So maybe there was a change with thier livestock? Maybe the owners were selling the live stock or possibly the owners were elderly and the kids sold the live stock? Its hard to say. Pyrs get bored easily and if they dont have a job to do- they wander and then they get lost.

Offline vikk

• Gnawer
  • Waco the Wonder Dog is ready to help Santa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 03:19:05 am »
Wow, I'm in a weird place after reading everything everyone has said about the wandering-eyed Pyrs. I lost my beloved Beau 3 months ago and have been longing for a big dog ever since. For a Lab, Beau was a big guy at 130 pounds. He was a gift as my boss found him wandering and couldn't find the owner, and I bonded immediately with him. I've never had a dog like him. He came fully trained, highly intelligent, and was more like a helper and daily companion. He's one of the large-chested, full-bodied dark gold Labs. But--as any teenager--he would occasionally get an urge to wander.

I've been seriously considering Pyrs ever since I found the local rescue site. I didn't know anything about them but they sounded very much like dogs I would love. I even found one that I think I'd like to adopt. I knew they had a possible tendency to wander and fences were needed but this discussion has really given me--sorry--pause. I don't know how I'd feel if my Pyr took off like that. I had planned to install a fence but it looks like even Ft. Knox isn't enough. All my dogs are homebodies. All my dogs are on leashes. (Beau was so well-trained he could generally be depended upon to just hit the perimeter for his needs and return immediately. I just kept him on a leash at night.)

I confess I'm now a little nervous and wondering if I should go forward.   

Canine family:
Freddie, Maltese  3 yrs
Teddy, Shih Tsu   6.5 yrs
Riley, Cocker     6 yrs
Waco the Wonder Dog, Great Pyrenees  2 yrs

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 10:22:07 pm »
I don't have a fence either, but am fully committed to exercising my dogs on leash and sometimes off leash at our local dog park. We go for an hour or more long walk daily either in our neighborhood or on wooded trails near where we live.

You can definitely have a Pyr without a fence, you just have to be fully committed to leash walking and knowing the breed! I agree with tobeysmum, you can find a way, fence or no fence...
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 10:32:50 pm »
I would hate to discourage anyone from getting a Pyrenees, because so many are in rescue and need homes. I think that it is possible, if you are willing to commit to giving the dog the time and exercise that they need,to have one with out a fence, but you would always have to be diligent.
We spent about 20 miutes this morning chasing Bella and Zoey. We have a 5 foot fence and now they have learned that if they run fast enough and jump- then they are over it. We are going to run a hot wire about 1 foot above the fence line. We are fortunate because we live out in the country and it is safer than in the city as far as traffic, but there are other dangers like wild pigs, coyotes and crazy red neck neighbors with guns.
Pyrenees are extremely incredible smart dogs. Maybe go and visit a rescue foster home. Some pyrenees are more active than others.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »
I work some pet fairs and do some home visits for pyr rescue in Florida.  One of the things I encourage people to do who are thinking about adopting a pyr if they have any concerns at all is to foster one.  That way, there is no commitment  other than to take care of the dog until it is adopted.  If you decide that it is definitely the breed for you, you can opt to adopt the dog you are fostering.  Lots of people do that.  The pyr club here takes in well over 100 dogs a year and is constantly looking for good foster and permanent homes.  If you think it might be the dog for you, check out your local rescue and see what you come up with.
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline vikk

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 10:20:58 pm »
Wow, thanks for all your comments. I truly appreciate you taking the time to offer your insight. I'm not backing down, just slowing down to make sure it will work. I'm willing to work, even willing to put up a fence--although it doesn't sound like they're a real help--but I have to think hard about the Pyrs ability jump fences, etc. I had knee surgery a year ago and running after dogs is a lot harder than it once was. :) I live in a semi-rural area but ten miles and you easily come upon traffic, etc.

My only problem with fostering is that I think I would get too attached. :) I am looking at one Pyr. I've been invited to a some kind of get-together for the rescue group where they'll have the dogs and the one I've looked at--online only. I'm going to try and attend and talk more to owners and actually meet the dogs in person.

If I go forward sounds like I'll need some advice on what kind of fence will keep a Pyr inside. Short of a covered dome stadium, I'm not sure there is one.  :-\
Canine family:
Freddie, Maltese  3 yrs
Riley, Cocker     6 yrs

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 02:07:25 am »
I really think it depends so much on the individual dog about how determined a Pyr might be to jump a fence...their energy levels vary, which is one reason why I adopted an adult Pyr--you can get a much better sense of how the dog will be in terms of temperament, energy level, personality, etc., in contrast to a puppy, who will most likely have more energy and a certain puppy rambunctiousne ss(sp?),and not knowing for sure how the puppy will be as an adult dog. There are so many adult dogs, including Pyrs, out there waiting for a home--my Jenny was already housetrained, doesn't chew or destroy anything, and is very mellow and laid back, which is exactly what I was looking for in my life right now. Pyrs cannot be off leash and need fencing or dedicated leash exercise, but not all Pyrs will scale fences or leap tall buildings in a single bound!  ;D 
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 04:49:01 am »
I agree not all of the Pyrs are so motivated to go over the fence. I think that meeting the rescue group and the dog that you are interested in is fantastic. Also a older Pyr usually is less likely to go over the fence. I have 2 extremely active females right now and they are my problem. The youngest foster and the old lady could care less about leaving. Tugs hasnt seem to have figured it out and Dolly (mom to the pups) is not going to leave those babies anytime soon. I agree with the option of fostering. You may fall in love with a Pyr who will not jump a fence. Keep us updated, take a camera.

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 05:25:48 am »
Bo doens't have problems with fence jumping/burrowing.  She's easily stopped by a visual barrier like a baby gate, but if she thinks there's an opportunity to take off, she most definitely will.  I can't tell you HOW many times we've chased her through creekbeds, the neighbors yards, the park, etc.  She get what we refer to as "the trots" where she trots just faster than we're running after her...then she takes off like a bolt of lightening chasing god knows what until she feels like stopping.  No amount of shouting commands, threats, etc. will change her mind.  I have learned (the hard way) that even though she has good obedience skills and knows EXACTLY what I'm asking her to do, her urge to roam is far more powerful than anything I can dream up. 
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline vikk

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 11:58:35 pm »
My Lab had that selective hearing and a small dash of wanderlust. It seemed like he was this perfect dog except for this slightly small teenage spasm he'd have every now and then. He seemed to figure that if he didn't look at me, I didn't exist. So when he wanted to take a hike, he'd avoid eye contact. Needless to say he became a huge leash baby, particularly at night. Seemed to be the same thought process when he did his business. Whoever had trained him had him go to the perimeter of the property.
Beau would go in the bushes and as long as his head was covered and he couldn't see me, he figured he had it made. Didn't matter if his golden butt was hanging out. :)

Dogs can be so funny. Luckily he didn't have an attack of the teenager very often.
Canine family:
Freddie, Maltese  3 yrs
Riley, Cocker     6 yrs