Author Topic: Any Puppy Training Advice?  (Read 2728 times)

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
Any Puppy Training Advice?
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:51:37 am »
My puppies were crying a lot in their 42 inch crate so I made a boundry around the crate to give them more room. A few days later I included that are and the bath room. Now its expanded to full run of the family room (wood floors), bathroom but no other rooms.

CRATE: I have one 42 inch crate that remains open for them to come and go. Unless we leave for a few hours--then the are locked in the crate.

Peppy, the little 4 lb guy love the crate as a bed. Precious 13 lbs now prefers the bathroom for sleeping.

Right now we are going our almost every hour in the day time and twice a night after dark for potty trips.

Our three boys and I hang in the family room so we're almost always together.

Think I'm making a mistake not using the crate more? The potty is going well. A few pee accidents but not too bad.

Thanks,
Robin
Robin

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Any Puppy Training Advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 04:59:22 am »
I did the same thing with Lily. We have her crate in the kitchen. I had it open for her for the first month we brought her home. I was using baby gates to keep her in the kitchen when we are gone. I had a very comfy bad in there so she slept in it with the doors open. After she got used to be home along and started locking her in the crate for 3-4 hours at a time. By 5 months she was completely housebroken and now she only eats in her crate and stores her toys in there  ;D
Good luck! Potty training is not my favorite part of puppy ownership  :P
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 11:49:01 am »
Sounds to me like you are doing a great job..people use crates for lots of reason and puppy housebreaking is really the only reason I use one..

We also have a doggy door so once they use that and understand they can go out and get goodies everytime they potty it goes pretty quickly..only using the crate for bed time at nite when they can't be watched...

Unless you are going to show when they will need to be crated more and feel comfortable... you are doing great....
Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Mallory's Mommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 12:54:32 pm »
It sounds like you're doing great! :)

With Mallory, she is crated for about two hours at a time during the day when she is alone. My mother comes by three times a day to walk her and play with her for a little while. Otherwise, when I am at home or in my room on the computer she is out and about. She does great, lying on new bed, chewing on her toys.

I have a sturdy baby gate at the door and she already knows to paw at it when she needs to go outside and will do that most of the time.

Potty training is going very well. She drinks quite a bit of water so right now it's a matter of her not being able to physically hold it and we go on frequent walks. I tell her to "do your business" and she knows what that means now.

We've only had a few accidents and I contribute those to me. Even if she doesn't paw at the gate she sends me cues that she's getting ready to have an accident and it's just a matter of me understanding them and getting her outside.

You sound like you're pointed in the right direction! Good luck with your fur baby.
Mary, mommy to Mallory, the Saint Bernard pup