Author Topic: Thunder Phobia  (Read 1560 times)

SAR Diver

Thunder Phobia
« on: November 17, 2007, 07:01:51 am »
This may have been addressed in the forum at some point in the past, but if it has, I can't seem to find it. 

First, let me re-introduce myself.  I am owned (along with Kat) by Kaila, Shiner, Cinder, and Razor.  I follow along with the forums through Kat most of the time and very much enjoy the site.  My problem is with Razor.  He was our second foster failure and I love him to death but... 

Last night we had thunderstorms roll through about 2 a.m. and he and I spent the rest of the night awake.  I already knew he was thunder phobic because he had pulled apart one dog kennel during a storm, and eaten through the door to the bedroom during another (I now own a Ray Allen kennel - expensive but worth it :-[).

Today I decided to try conditioning him so I have been playing a CD of thunderstorms all day... at full volume... speakers right beside him... and guess who is sleeping through all of it without any problem.  He doesn't seem to be affected at all.  I have to now consider that sound is not the issue.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on something that might help him be calmer during these storms?  I would rather not try drugs.  He is not afraid of anything normally.  I am just concerned that he will wind up hurting himself, plus his already proven tendency destroying anything that keeps him separated from me when he is scared.

Any advice, thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Michael

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Thunder Phobia
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 07:30:24 am »
Gee, I'm really sorry.  I don't have anything all that constructive to say other then, maybe if you know there's going to be bad weather to keep him near you. ??? :-\

I'm sure someone else will have something alittle smarter to say.  I just know that when Naja is scared that she is just a wreck unless close to me.  Good luck though.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!