Author Topic: Thoughts on Soft Claw nailcovers?  (Read 9735 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Soft Claw nailcovers?
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:03:53 pm »
For Christmas this year, we are road-tripping it to Michigan (all the way from Texas) with Rosie. It'll be Rosie's first time ever up north, so we're hoping for a white Christmas so she can experience the environment she was bred in. Hehe.

We're staying with my in-laws, who just recently put down wood floors. We don't want to relegate Rosie to a specific room so we're trying to figure out a way to cover up her nails to keep her from scratching their floors. So I've seen a couple options so far: 1) indoor booties, and 2) these vinyl nail covers called Soft Claws that you glue to her nails.

We've tried the booties and we're afraid that they'll cause more harm than good with her ongoing TPLO surgery recovery (possibly slipping or interfering with her footing). And so we were thinking about the Soft Claws. Has anyone had any experience with these? And what size did you get? How long did they last? Or do you have any other ideas on how to keep her nails from scratching their floors?
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Soft Claw nailcovers?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:22:30 pm »
I have a friend that uses the Soft Claws on her cat.  They work really well, last for about a week to 2 weeks depending on how much the cat chews on them.  The glue is non toxic so even if she can bite off a few claw covers there are no ill effects.  I really like them cause they also come in different colors, like you could get blue for boy animals and pink for girl animals.   :D
Obviously because they were for a cat, my friend gets the small ones, but I'm sure they would make them in a Rosie size.  Good luck!  ;) ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:23:05 pm »
My friend uses them on her cat as well and swears by them. She loves them.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 11:04:18 pm »
I don't know anything about soft claws nail covers, but I'm a little confused why you think that booties will make her slip. We have a lot of problems with Zoey on the wood floors (not that she scratches them - cause I could care less about that, but that she slips on them). One of the only things we found that prevented her from slipping were vinyl booties (show on her back paws in the pic below). We don't put them on her anymore because she knows how to take them off in about 5 minutes, but they might be worth trying for you since they will protect the floor and also prevent slipping.

Does anyone know if these soft claws also help with slipping?
RIP former BPO

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 05:41:14 am »
I don't know anything about soft claws nail covers, but I'm a little confused why you think that booties will make her slip.

I guess we bought the kind with a rubber paw sole (kind of like a shoe) that her paw is meant to fit into. The problem was that she would walk and when the boot is too loose, her paw comes out of the sole and the sole trips her up. Maybe we just need to try another kind. What's the brand of your dog's boots?
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 07:15:43 am »
They're called pawz. They remind me of thick balloons with wide openings, but they work (unless you're dog figures out they can hold down the edge of the bootie with their other paw and then pull their leg out  ;) )

You can find them at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Boots-Pawz-Set-X-Large/dp/B000VZW91C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1195787441&sr=8-4

If you want to try them, PM me before you buy them; I have a couple extra since we don't use them anymore. I could probably send them to you
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:17:43 am by shangrila »
RIP former BPO

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »
I used soft paws on one of my cats and I didn't have much luck with them at all. They constantly came off her and were more of a pain than they were worth.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 11:30:44 pm »
I use soft paws on my cats and I really like them. They will definitely stay on in the snow. They use super glue to glue them on so they'll stay on for a long time. You do have to make sure the glue is dry before you let the pet out of your sight, though. The first time I put them on Misty Blue, I didn't do this and she chewed them off right away.

Usually the nails grow out and the caps fall off or get chewed off when they become annoying to the pet. However, this last time, I had to cut one off because the nail grew out so much the nail cap almost touching the pad of the paw.

I think if you use them on dogs, though, you wouldn't get this problem as much because the dog's nails are thicker and i would think the caps would fall off easier.  Do they even make them big enough for dogs?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 11:34:54 pm »
Another thought on the hardwood floors:  Is it Pergo-type flooring or real hardwood? We have hardwood floors (real hardwood) in our house and the dogs (while they are about half the size of Rosie) haven't marked up the floors at all.

Pergo floors are supposed to be resistant to dogs as well, at least that's what I've read in their marketing.

Usually, if you get a scratch in hardwood, you can take a wash cloth soaked in very warm water and place it on the scratch and it will expand the wood to fix it. I heard that somewhere and tried it once - it worked.

Also, you might want to purchase a couple cheap rugs or hallway runners to take along and throw down in your parents house so Rosie will walk on those instead of on the bare floors while you are there. The extra effort may be appreciated by your parents.

Just some thoughts. Hope they help!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 03:01:29 am »
Do they even make them big enough for dogs?

Yes, they have them in 'Jumbo' size, which is intended for larger dogs. We may buy a set and see if it works out. I'll also see if the Pawz boots work for her too.

Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 12:11:02 am »
Using the Soft Claw nail covers worked out well. We bought the Jumbo size for Rosie's large nails and applied them to all four of her paws. She tolerated them quite well and didn't complain when we were applying them on her. Now that we're home, we wanted to remove them. But the instructions state to just wait until they fall off by themselves. Since they're glued onto her nail, it's hard to pry them off. So we've just been cutting the tips with scissors to make sure they don't get too long and start splaying her paws.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 10:34:54 am »
Thanks for the update.  I am happy for you that they worked out so well.  How did they do at protecting the wood floor?
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 12:10:29 am »
The wood floors were left unscratched. Since we capped all of her nails, including the back ones, there was little chance of her scratching the floors.
Rosie - Newfoundland