Author Topic: Invisible fences  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Gill

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Invisible fences
« on: November 25, 2007, 06:35:42 am »
I was just wondering what BPOers think of invisible fences for big dogs??
Bogie 9y.o Blue-fronted Amazon Parrot
Montague 1 year old St Bernard Puppy

All the while you have a dog you will be loved.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Invisible fences
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 04:34:42 pm »
They do work with some dogs  Although they do have drawbacks there are a lot of homeowner communities that do not allow visible fencing  I have homed several dogs to invisible fences - a total of 10 now.  Pyrenees and Petit Bassets  Both are breeds that supposedly will NOT stay in invisible fencing  However they do stay in and have wonderful homes.  Training is key to this type of fencing working.

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 07:07:38 pm »
I have used a PETSTOP fence for 3 years with a GSD, Lab, Corgi, and 2 English Pointer/Beagle mixes.
Yes TRAINING is the key. Choose your installer for their training knowledge not the kind of fence.
THoM
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

Erin

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 12:05:27 pm »
i've never personally used one, but my parents got one... they had this mutt Lady (probably 60 lbs.) who is a master escape artist.  She's also very, very stupid  ;D  The poor dog could NOT grasp the concept of "oh, if I go out of this area, I'll be zapped!" so she just kept getting out... eventually they scrapped it.  They had a regular fence up in addition to the invisible fence and even with both she still got out!

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 12:08:18 pm »
I talked to some other Akita owners that say that the breed is one that will almost wiegh out their options.  Some would honestly receive the zap b/c they knew it was temporary but their freedom was worth it!  :-\
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 12:17:43 pm »
I had a MAJOR issue with invisible fences, including all the guilt/anxiety/fear that go along with them.  I, however, moved into a neighborhood that had some pretty stringent rules about fencing. So, we decided to try the invisible fencing.  We chose PETSTOP too.  I liked this company because the "correction" levels could be varied; so, it's not this big 'ol whopping shock or nothing. Both Winston and Champ responded to the "correction" on the very lowest setting.  Secondly, they emphasize a LOT of training and will have trainers come back multiple times if you continue to have problems (they even will pay for another company to replace the system if it doesn't work).  As for the collars, I found that they were smaller and less scary looking.  The one that I chose also had retractable prongs (think of the back of pen with springs), which I thought would be more comfortable.  

Long story short, I made my husband try it first!  He said that it definitely is a startling feeling, but not a painful one.  I thought Winston, who can be the epitome of stubborn, would have a difficult time with it.  However, each dog was only "corrected" twice total and it has been a WONDERFUL thing for us!  Just yesterday, Winston and Champ chased a rabbit out of the yard, but stopped at the boundary!!  

Just something else to consider- We are lucky to live in a nice, quiet neighborhood.  There aren't too many dogs in the neighborhood and stray dogs are not the norm.  So, consideration of what comes IN to your yard should also be remembered.