Author Topic: Before and after (30 days)  (Read 5766 times)

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
Before and after (30 days)
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:23:53 pm »
A month ago we rescued an abused and malnourished St.Bernard pup, believed to be 9 months old.
We still have long way to go, but here is her first picture at our house

and picture of her now, just a month later.

Grace will be never a winner of Westminster, but at least she looks so much better! And she is happy, happy, happy!
Here Grace is posing with my friend

And here Grace, me and friend's Weimaraner Audry.

Last weekend we spent in city socializing, socialaizing and again - socializing. We used all kinds of public transport awailable - train, busses, trams and trollybusses, and Grace did great. We also went to the shopping mall like House Depot where dogs are welcomed, and she did great too - she was petted by different people and had not shown any agression. She still is growling a bit to people who are entering our house, but less each time so maybe we shall get over it too.
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Before and after (30 days)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:55:29 pm »
Wow! What a difference care and love make in only 30 days!! You are truly Grace's angel. Thank you for what you are doing with her. It's just beautiful.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 07:40:06 pm »
OMG!!!!!  She is looking gorgeous!!  What a good job you've done!!  Wow, I can't get over how good she looks!!  Congratulation s!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:19:14 pm »
Gracie Girl you look so GOOD!  I'm so happy that Anna is there to take care of you and help you get back to being the pretty girl you were always meant to be.  :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 10:29:47 pm »
For thus who do not know her story ...

She looks well on pictures, but that's all that we can say is good about her. On her most important growth period she was kept on an interesting diet - apples, cabbages and pumpkins, without anything else, just boiling water poured over. No dry food, no meat, no oil, cereals, supplements and bla-bla-bla... So you imagine how her conditions were.

We are slowly trying to establish her tummy, her sustains and joints on top of all behavior problems of abandoned, unsocialized and mistreated puppy.

She was on short chain and this "super" diet from about 5 mo until 9 mo, so I presume damages done are very serious and who knows how it will be, but at least she is loved and very happy now. 

She is also from very poor breeding - typical BYB scenario in the worse situation (including inbreeding in generations) - very small by size (nearly 27” now), head -very poor, coloring - faded, only angulations are quite good... but I just was not able to pass that girl to the shelter.

It was the initial plan - we go to the place, buy her (for $80) from the morons who wanted to give her away, and then shelter people later on the day takes her from us, and end of the story. Our shelter has just one car and that car was busy on the morning when this poor sod was available... So from the beginning it was just a volunteer transport job for me.

But when I saw her on that less than a yard chain, ankle deep in her own poop, her fur was all matted and covered in her poop, not even a water bowl...
My brain and all the previous wise decisions how it must be done went out of the window...

I was crying all the way home with her. It took me about an hour just to get the biggest lumps of poop out of her fur before we took her into the house. Complete foster failure before fostering even started. It was strange. We took her in and next day I received test results on the pregnancy that I hoped to get a pup – a proper show quality St.Bernard. It was a sign for me, really. And I do not regret my decision to leave her at all. 

DH was first night crying and planning how to get these idiots, but now he is sitting for hours on the floor with her, just hugging her and talking with her, teaching her how to play and another night when for the first time she had right poop, DH called me out of bed to go outside and enjoy the poop.

So far we had achieved a lot. She had terrible fear of going in or out of the door - that is gone. She had serious food aggression - it is gone too. She had chain in her minds - short steps, annoying never-ending trotting 5 steps one way, then other... Gone now.

She knows her name, her recall is perfect, friendly to all dogs and cats, starting to learn commands, her housebreaking is going along with her tummy conditions, but at least she has the idea perfect in her head, but accidents still happen, it is minor thing anyway, she will establish...

Only human fear still exist and it will be a long way out of it. But I hope I really do! Last weekend we went to city for socialization, and more socialization. We went to city by TRAIN, then traveled on tram, then trolleybus and buss… We went to the shopping mall like Home Depot, and she did very well with all the people that she met, who petted her and kissed.

We also met auntie Irena and Audrey, and had nice party in apartment with both girls and my mum’s datchie Markus (who was on 7th heaven for such a pleasure, of course) and I even bathed her in our bath… THAT was fun, but – she did it!

Yesterday we returned home, and when our neighbor came for a chat, Grace was not growling at her anymore, so city socialization trip had worked! So we really have a hope that mental damages can be treated 100%. Grace tries really hard, and we all as well.   
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 10:45:46 pm »
OH YAYYYY!!!!  I was hoping and hoping that Gracie would become a foster failure, and then I look at this post and see that she IS!!!!!!  I'm sitting at work typing this with the biggest goofiest grin on my face, and my co-workers are looking at me like I'm a freak but I don't care cause I'm happy for Grace!

Modified to add:
Signed L-P-L!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 10:48:05 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 01:52:40 am »
You are doing a fantastic job with her.  I remember the original post.  Congratulation s on your determination and congratulation s to Grace for overcoming those huge obstacles.  She will continue to flourish under your care and who cares if she never gets as large as she might have.  She just may live longer.  I know the nutrition a puppy receives is very important, but I believe you can make up for at least some of it, by correcting it.  You caught it in time and there will be no long lasting ill effects.  I'm sure.  Give her hugs from Florida for me.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 05:09:51 am »
She looks great! Keep up the good work :)
RIP former BPO