Author Topic: Neutering  (Read 17446 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Neutering
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 11:38:34 am »
Here's a website I found on pyr dew claws.

http://pyrmont.tripod.com/dewclaws.html
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 11:42:46 am »
There you go! Alex don't have it removed!!!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 11:53:33 am »
Wow, you guys rock!!!  I was totally going to go against my own better judgement and do what my vet wanted me to do, but now I'm gonna tell her "NO WAY!" and look for a vet that's got more Pyr Experience.  Wish me luck in finding one though, not too many vets around here have even heard of Great Pyrenees let alone have ever worked with them.  :)

Thanks again, I'm so glad I can come to you guys with stuff like this!  :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 11:56:49 am »

Great info! I repeat myself and say it again "don't do it!"
Spaying and neutering itself is a complex surgery. For some dogs it takes a while to recover and some cases are not easy. Can you imagine having your toes shopped in addition to that  :o  :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 12:07:10 pm »

Great info! I repeat myself and say it again "don't do it!"
Spaying and neutering itself is a complex surgery. For some dogs it takes a while to recover and some cases are not easy. Can you imagine having your toes shopped in addition to that  :o  :-\

No I'm totally not going to do it now.  I was still on the fence when I brought it up, but especially after reading the info on that website, I'm definately not gonna get it done.  I'm gonna start looking into another vet as well, I like this girl, but I think she's got a superiority (sp?) complex.  Whenever I'd mention something she did'nt know about she'd be all like "Well I've never heard that before" and act like just because she didn't know about it, it wasn't true.  So, I'm gonna start calling around and looking for someone who's got Giant Breed and or Pyr experiance.

Modified to add a couple smilies!  'Cause I like them!  :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 12:09:45 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 02:04:22 pm »
Mmmk. So I just called my vet to make an appointment for Miles' pre op bloodwork for his neuter...and it's 70 dollars! Just to draw some blood!? Come on now. She said she would have to call me back with the price of the neuter....grrr . I have to wait 10 minutes...and she'll call me back. But another place I called...it was 265 (including the pre op bloodwork...bu t since i've never been there before they would have to see him once to establish a relationship (which I would want) but thats 48 dollars for a basic office visit just to say HI basically.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 02:07:03 pm »
Yup they sure do get'cha by the short and curlies don't they?! lol.  Well Miles, here's to an easy surgery, quick recovery, and not too much of a dent in Mommies checkbook.  ;)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 02:21:23 pm »
Ok. Sooo...she said it is approximately 200 for the neuter. Approximately. So I hope that means it's 200. haha But when I called last time it was 265 for under 60 pounds. I'm assuming it included bloodwork in the price. But it's only 5 dollars more for a 70 pound dog? Whatever....I guess I'll find out when it happens! hahaha..I hate that feeling.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 02:41:17 pm »
Thankfully my Vet and The Clinic know me well after all these years, because I'm an Old Mother Hen when it comes to by Babies. But it wouldn't matter, because I'd be like this anyway.

Be certain that your Vet knows FULL AND WELL that Pyrs are extreemly sensitive to anestesia due to their extreemly low metabolism. Over estimation of weight can be extreemly dangerous for your Pyr. It has to be accurate and anestesia given only to affect.

If she won't listen to you or if you have any doubts what so ever = find another Vet. Make sure that she know you are the one in charge here. Suggest in a nice way that she read up on the breed before performing the neuter.

The blood panel previous to surgery is always a must in my mind. I have one done on my guys every wellness check.

Ahhhh - Sweet, Sweet Miles! I can't believe it's already time for your Snip-Snip!  Seems like only yesterday you were just a wee little bear. :-*  :-* But your Mommy's going to give you extra good re-coop time, eh?

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 10:31:31 pm »
ahhh baby Miles, it doent seem possible that it he is even old enough already. Tug had the big neuter on Oct 6, and was fine after about the second day. We were at the point to where he was so obnoxious that we couldnt get it done soon enough.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 02:20:49 am »
ahhh baby Miles, it doent seem possible that it he is even old enough already.

I know!! I feel like just yesterday I was carrying him around in my arms without breakin' a sweat! Now he's almost 70 pounds of dog and 6 mos old tomorrow! Where has the time gone!?
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees