Author Topic: A.P.H.I.S.  (Read 4532 times)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
A.P.H.I.S.
« on: July 27, 2005, 11:57:56 am »
When Niki was working in our video store, we had to be licensed with the USDA APHIS (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service).  It seemed like a waste of money as the inspector drove for hours several times to inspect a backyard pet. It only cost me $35 per year for the service.  They left a booklet with me and after reviewing it, I will simplify part of the long descriptions of who must be licensed and who is exempt.  This is in regards to the recent PAWS legislation.

If you are a breeder selling at the wholesale level, you must be licensed.  If you are a breeder selling to other breeders you MAY have to be licensed.  If you are a retailer selling to the public and this includes all chain stores as well as small retailers then you are exempt.  Now wouldnt it make more sense just to require retailers to purchase from licensed breeders only?  If puppy mills did not have a market to sell their products then they would cease to exist.  I have always been puzzled that there is no legislation governing animal retailers while wholesalers are different.  This makes no sense and PAWS makes no sense.

Peggy
Peggy