Author Topic: Dog Houdini  (Read 2300 times)

Offline cwarner

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Dog Houdini
« on: December 01, 2007, 01:43:29 am »
Last night i got home from work around 10pm.  When I got out of the truck i didnt hear Kodi barking  (he's always barking when we get home and he's left alone in his kennel).  I was kind of nervous wondering why he wasnt barking, so i hurried inside and opend the door to find him standing there looking at me wagging his tail.  I looked into the other room where his kennel is and both of the doors are shut and locked,  i tried opening them and couldnt.  Needless to say i was very confused.  I took Kodi out and came back in to look at the kennel again.  Upon further investigation i find that the bottome latch on one ofthe doors was undone and he must've squeezed his 65 pound butt out the door with only one lock undone.  Now i'm thinking to myself, did i not get the latch all the way closed when i left for work?    Fast forward to today,  I go over to my brother's house,  put kodi in his kennel,  make SURE all the latches are closed and leave.  Come home .... no barking ...  get inside, there's kodi in the kitchen again.  Looks like kodi figured out how to get the latch undone from the indside of the kennel.  so i've spent some of the day today putting child proof latches on the cupboard doors.  Looks like i'm going to have to figure out a way to hold the latch closed or let Kodi have the run of the house.   He didn't do any damage to the house, no accidents inside, but he did kill 2 blinds in the bedroom, but he's done that before.  Anybody else have a Houdini dog story?! 

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Houdini
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 02:12:48 am »
My friend's Rotti could do that too...she put a leash clip on the crate which prevented the pup from pushing the door open at all. Good luck.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:50:53 am »
Razor did this when a storm rolled through and he went ballistic.  So now he's in a Ray Allen crate that he can't break out of.  Of course, Razor also ate through the bedroom door after breaking out of the kennel. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 05:40:37 pm »
We are on our third gate across the landing of our stairs...Bodhi manages to undo the lock on the bottom and squeeze his way through, twisting the gate all to heck in the process.  Then he comes bounding into the room looking all pleased with himself, lol!  This time we got a steel gate, and so far it has held him (*knocking frantically on wooden desk for good luck!). 

Zildjian, our dalmatian, tunnels out under the fence if she sees the slightest gap...so we let the grass grow tall around it.  Looks like crap, but it keeps her in because she is not smart enough to realize she can plow right through that tall grass! LOL!
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 06:02:33 pm »
Very impressive. I don't have a houdini story, but wanted to admire all of yours--those are some smart and persistent dogs!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven