Author Topic: How to get your dog to bark?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
How to get your dog to bark?
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:21:42 am »
Naja is the best dog I could ever possibly ask for.  She is cuddly, and plays well with Moo who is about the size of her head, and only barks if there is something going on outside.  But my question is, how do you train your dog to bark to be let out?  If Naja needs to go outside she'll just go to the door, and if you're busy making dinner, or watching TV or just not paying 100% attention she'll only hold it so long and have an accident by the door.  We've got Moo trained to ring a bell that's hanging on the door knob, but Naja will have no part of that.  Besides the bell is kindof quiet.  We catch it 90% of the time, but when I'm not home, she sometimes gets overlooked.  I hate that she'll get in trouble when I'm not there for having an honest accident, but I don't know how to get her to Demand if you will to be let out.   ??? ???
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: How to get your dog to bark?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:27:24 am »
Good luck with that! Lily doesn't make a sound near the door...EVER. If you don't notice her by the door she falls a sleep there until someone finds her.
I am trying to teach her "speak" or "bark" command for our obedience class for the past 2 months with NO progress at all.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 05:19:35 am »
I agree.  I'm not sure I would want a dog that barked to go outside.  My sister's dog who lives at my parent's barks to come inside.  And if you don't let him in immediately, he will continue to bark and bark and bark and bark.......... .....and then bark some more.  It is really really irritating.

Keiko will just come and stare at you.  It took me a long time to figure out this cue from her, originally I thought she just wanted some attention.  But after years of doing the same thing time and time again, she has me trained....... ..lol.

Gunther will also stare at you, and if he's in dire need, he will whine.

Nigel and Posey don't really have a cue.  They will come to you to "tell" you, but they are doing that all day anyway so its hard to tell if they have to go, or just want some attention, or just want to be on the couch.  You only get one shot with them, if you don't get it the first time they come up to you, you will find a nice present waiting.

Offline vikk

• Gnawer
  • Waco the Wonder Dog is ready to help Santa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 11:08:53 am »
Okay, I trained Riley, the cocker, to go to the door and hit the jingle bell whenever he wanted to go out. The bell isn't always on the door so Riley trained me to let him out when he stood at the door, looked at the door, and barked. (I think he went to barking out of frustration because he couldn't get my attention when I was lost writing on the computer.)

Riley now moves his food bowl around the floor and will eventually couple that action with a bark if I'm too slow and when he's thirsty he will sling the water dish around and eventually bark if I don't move fast enough. He's managed to put together the fact that a visible action with noise coupled with a bark gets me every time.  :) The food dish is heavy and he will knock it against the cabinets. The water bowl has a different sound when it's slid across the floor.

I actually don't mind it because I do get very preoccupied. When Riley has to go, Freddie the Maltese is ready and willing. So I get 2 for 1. My Shih Tsu will quietly use his potty pad if necessary or wait and go with the others.

Dogs are smart. They may not stop with what you teach them.
Canine family:
Freddie, Maltese  3 yrs
Teddy, Shih Tsu   6.5 yrs
Riley, Cocker     6 yrs
Waco the Wonder Dog, Great Pyrenees  2 yrs