Author Topic: Bathing question  (Read 6375 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Bathing question
« on: December 03, 2007, 04:17:53 pm »
My step-daughter Katie's allergies to the animals have been steadily getting worse and she is now at th point where she is congested 24/7.  The vet suggested frequent brushing and frequent baths for Sierra.  I forgot to ask the vet, so I'm posing the question here:

Is once a week too much?  I do't want to irritate her skin by too much, but I would like to bathe her as often as I can.  Not only for Katie but also because she starts to stink within 3 or 4 days after a bath.  In the summer I always attributed her smelling to her always being in the water, but she hasn't been swimming in a long time.  Maybe she's just a smelly dog  :D

Oh and should I be keeping her out of water now that it's getting cold, even if she really wants to go in and doesn't seem to mind being a part of the polar bear club?
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Bathing question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 05:48:03 pm »
My friend is highly allergic to dogs but couldn't live without one her whole life. She has been getting a shot every three months for allergies and she has no problems at all.

My hubby was allergic to Lily when we first brought her home. I was using a special shampoo to wash her and it helped a little but not completely. Then we stopped doing it and he outgrew his condition  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 11:12:16 pm »
It seems Katie has tried everything under the sun.  Nothing over the counter does anything for her.  All prescriptions that she has had to this point hasn't helped.  Our doctor has put her on a little cocktail of allergy meds and told her that if she doesn't get any better in three months, then she will need to get a shot once a week for five years.  Never heard of that one...but then again I've never had issues with allergies until the two years ago and mine are very mild.

I can pretty much count out acupuncture.  She is terrified of needles and was freaking out about the thought of maybe having to get shots.  And yet, she was able to get her bellybutton pierced with no problems...   hmmm...   :D

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 07:28:56 am »
I am probably going against the grain here but we wash Bear often too since he is stinky & feels yucky, probably because he is so drooly, messy at eating, and exposed to all the funk of downtown. He gets washed every 2 weeks or so and loves it; so do we. Due to his extreme allergies to shampoo though, he the only shampoo that works for his skin & doesn't give him hot spots o flaky skin is Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp formula.  :)
As for the cold water, Newfies were made for the icy water so it is fine. Bear has gone swimming in partially frozen over lakes & loved every minute of it.

On a side note, our breeder, her handler, and other show dog handlers have all told us that due to the Newfy coat being prone to such wetness, it is perfectly ok to bathe Bear as often as we'd like without hurting him or his coat.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:30:29 am by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 09:27:44 pm »
There is a lot of fine dust in the sand here, so Cody gets rinsed frequently.  He gets washed with soap maybe four times a year.  Maybe rinsing would help with the dander.

I had allergy shots for years and they helped.  Now I can visit people with cats.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 05:56:14 pm »
I am probably going against the grain here but we wash Bear often too since he is stinky & feels yucky, probably because he is so drooly, messy at eating, and exposed to all the funk of downtown. He gets washed every 2 weeks or so and loves it; so do we. Due to his extreme allergies to shampoo though, he the only shampoo that works for his skin & doesn't give him hot spots o flaky skin is Head & Shoulders Dry Scalp formula.  :)
As for the cold water, Newfies were made for the icy water so it is fine. Bear has gone swimming in partially frozen over lakes & loved every minute of it.

On a side note, our breeder, her handler, and other show dog handlers have all told us that due to the Newfy coat being prone to such wetness, it is perfectly ok to bathe Bear as often as we'd like without hurting him or his coat.

Regarding the cold water, I'm assuming I should limit the cold water exposure until her coat grows in again.  And would that affect her joints at all since she is still so young.

I know, I worry too much.  It's what I do best.  It drives Jeff and the kids crazy.   ;D

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret