Author Topic: Food Food Food  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Food Food Food
« on: December 03, 2007, 10:29:24 pm »
Okay, so Miles is almost 6 months old now....and has been on Canidae, Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed Puppy, Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato, and today, I just bought Sold Gold Wolfcub (which I'm wondering if I should've picked up the wolfking instead because of the protein...but it'll be ok I think).

The reason he's been on all these different foods in his short life, is because I can't find one that he's done well on. I mean, he's done fine with all of them...but I don't consider any of them to be any better than the next. His stools have always been somewhat loose...but better on the Natural Balance.

Well, I decided he needs more than natural balance has to offer. It's good to have a limited ingredient diet, but this is too limited. Also, I have issues with the fact that potatoes are listed as the first ingredient.

SO....I decided to try the wolfcub. It has no wheat, soybeans, corn, animal fat (other than what is naturally ocurring in bison), no poultry fat, by-products, etc, etc.... So basically...so unds good I suppose....

Right now Miles eats 6 cups of food a day split into 3 meals. (I tried two meals...and he is not a fan of that. haha) Since this wolfcub is 26% protein and 12% fat, I understand that is a bit on the higher side for a BP puppy...(hence why I should've gone for the wolfking but anyway...) I am assuming Miles is going to go crazy with less food.

Three Questions.

What do you feed YOUR dog(s)?

Opinions on Solid Gold WolfCub/WolfKing?

What are some healthy snacks that I could give Miles in between meals so he doesn't drive me bonkers!?
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

lorim2

Re: Food Food Food
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:36:09 pm »
Well we just went through the food game here.  My lab was having severe food allergies.  Finally put her on Natural Balance Duck and Potatoe and its been a godsend.  Finally the throwing up has stopped!  yay...Marley has been on alot of different things but honestly he does the best on Hills large breed.  Hes been on this for about a year now and he eats 12 cups a day split into two meals...with a tbl spoon of plain nonfat yogurt at each meal..Dont ask me why but he loves yogurt! 

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 10:47:07 pm »
12 cups a day!?!? Wow.....I really hope Miles never eats that much! hahaha
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

lorim2

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 10:59:24 pm »
12 cups a day!?!? Wow.....I really hope Miles never eats that much! hahaha
I know but any less and hes not a happy camper...We monitor his weight really close and he doesnt gain..He actually looks great...I guess its the yogurt that keeps his "girly figure" haha...

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 04:53:56 am »
We have fed Gweck a number of different foods, from Nutro (before we knew better)

Julie-please tell me why you know better about Nutro,I just switched the boys to it about a month ago.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 06:39:00 am »
Thanks Holly.The boys were on California Naturals for a long time,but then it got so they wouldn't eat it.Between the 2 if I mixed 3 cups with a can I might throw half of it away.There were days they might eat a whole batch,but not many.Now I would say they both eat at least 3 cups with a can a day and sometimes want more.I will admit when I went to the pet store I forgot anything about how to pic out a dog food and settled on that one,because I could afford it.

Would anyone mind terribly giving me a list of different kinds I can try when they run out?
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 04:52:32 pm »
Okay, so Miles is almost 6 months old now....and has been on Canidae, Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed Puppy, Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato, and today, I just bought Sold Gold Wolfcub (which I'm wondering if I should've picked up the wolfking instead because of the protein...but it'll be ok I think).

The reason he's been on all these different foods in his short life, is because I can't find one that he's done well on. I mean, he's done fine with all of them...but I don't consider any of them to be any better than the next. His stools have always been somewhat loose...but better on the Natural Balance.

Well, I decided he needs more than natural balance has to offer. It's good to have a limited ingredient diet, but this is too limited. Also, I have issues with the fact that potatoes are listed as the first ingredient.

SO....I decided to try the wolfcub. It has no wheat, soybeans, corn, animal fat (other than what is naturally ocurring in bison), no poultry fat, by-products, etc, etc.... So basically...so unds good I suppose....

Right now Miles eats 6 cups of food a day split into 3 meals. (I tried two meals...and he is not a fan of that. haha) Since this wolfcub is 26% protein and 12% fat, I understand that is a bit on the higher side for a BP puppy...(hence why I should've gone for the wolfking but anyway...) I am assuming Miles is going to go crazy with less food.

Three Questions.

What do you feed YOUR dog(s)?

Opinions on Solid Gold WolfCub/WolfKing?

What are some healthy snacks that I could give Miles in between meals so he doesn't drive me bonkers!?

Phoebe loves raw carrots the baby carrots, she also loves apples so I giver her chunks of those. 

I have her on Canidae and she gets 41/2 cups currently but I am going to increase that to closer to 51/2 she seem hungrier too. She is 6 mos. too.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 05:43:39 pm »
Tipper is on Innova Adult and has been for a long time. He does great on it and has an amazing coat.

Jenny is on Innova Adult Large Breed Formula. It took her tummy about a week to adjust to it after coming out of rescue, but she is doing great on it. Her coat looks much better, her stools are fine, and she seems to like it. She eats 4 cups/day.

Both of them have an occasional bully stick for snack. Sometimes I buy dog treats and when I do, I buy from brands that make good food. 
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven