Author Topic: Kate behaving badly...  (Read 4506 times)

k2campbell

Kate behaving badly...
« on: December 04, 2007, 12:30:53 am »
First let me start by saying that Kate is SUCH a good dog, she really is  ;) She did so well with Blake joining the family...I really thought she'd be more jealous than she is, she accepted him almost immediately and didn't seem down or depressed at all with the attention being split...

Kate goes for walk everyday with us, we go in the evening either right before we eat or right after. We go no matter what the weather is, and lately it's been around -15 to -20 C, so it's rather chilly! ::) Well our walks have become "less leisurely" because of the cold weather, we walk briskly and are home within a half hour vs our usual 45 minutes...

Now that we have Blake (and because my in-laws live around the corner) we go over there for more visits. They come here too, but they invite us over usually one night a week for dinner, this has been going on since we had Blake. Of course, Kate would always join us too, until this cold weather. She needs to stay outside in the yard while we're there (my in-laws like her, but they're little-dog people and aren't fond of Kate running around in their house). This is fine with us, to each their own and we understand...t heir house, their rules.

The problem is that lately Kate sees myself, Eric and Blake leaving together without her. We ALWAYS take her for her walk BEFORE we go over there, so that she's tired and can just relax while we're gone. For the past few weeks when we've returned home Kate has drug out one of Blake's stuffed animals from his playpen in the living room and put it smack-dab in the middle of the floor to our entrance. That's it...she'd just pick one up each time and drop it there, as if to say "I know you went without me!" :D ;)

WELL, over the weekend Eric, Blake and I went to get groceries and came home to one of Blake's toys COMPLETELY torn apart all over the entrance...uh-oh! :o I sort of expected this to happen at some point...and to credit Kate it WAS a squeaky toy so she may have thought it was for her...BUT I know she knows better... ::) :P :-X

Any advice on what we could do? I'm reluctant to leave the house now...I'm afraid of what she might tear apart next!!! :D :D :D

k2campbell

Re: Kate behaving badly...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 07:58:32 pm »
Thanks ladies!  ;) I think some back-to-basics training will help, I don't know why I never thought of that (duh)! ::)

I forgot to mention that I'm home all day with Kate, so she's hardly ever alone anymore, except for when I'm out visiting my Mom, running errands, that kind of thing. I think it's been hard for her to adjust to that too...me being home every day (especially after my surgery) and then leaving for a few hours every now & then...

Last night Eric was home late from work and I had to run out (with Blake obviously) to go get some milk. I was gone for about half an hour and when I came home Kate had grabbed some of the Christmas decor I had set out on the table to put up last night. She didn't wreck it, just spread it across the entrance! ::) So, I think it's anything...not just Blake's toys so much!

We'll work on it, thanks again for your advice ladies! ;D

P.S. Blake enjoyed his kiss from you Stella, he sends one right back at you!  ;) :-*

Edited to add: Tina I completely agree, Kate is an AWESOME girl! ;) She could be chewing on baseboards instead, we are very lucky, this is pretty minor! ;D ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:02:49 pm by k2campbell »

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 08:53:34 pm »
Perhaps Santa will bring Kate a crate and the gadget that time-releases four Kongs.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 10:08:22 pm »
We'll encounter a similar thing with Rosie every now and then. She won't touch our belongings, but she'll scatter a few of her toys around the living room and sometimes even go through our office trash, tearing paper, cardboard, junk mail, and whatever else was in the trash into tiny pieces. We figure there are days when she just gets so bored from being alone all day. We notice this particularly on occasions when we've spent a whole day with her and leave her in the evening, or after a weekend with her and we leave her during the day on Monday.

She hasn't turned destructive really, so we haven't done anything about it.

Rosie - Newfoundland