Author Topic: aggressive dog  (Read 6677 times)

Offline noodlesmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
aggressive dog
« on: December 04, 2007, 01:18:07 am »
Hi I am new to the board and looking for any feedback advice etc. My 60 year old mom adopted a 130lb 11yr old rottie about 7 months ago. She also has a beagle and a shi tzu. We have owned 3 rotties before so we know and love the breed. His previous owners made no mention of aggression and got rid of him due to a new marriage and allergies. Well, last night my mom moved him off her spot on the bed and he bit her hand and broke it. She is devastated and confused.
She feels she has to put him down, but she loves him. I know she is not the strongest pack leader and I am worried. My thoughts are she needs to get a trainer in there ASAP. He has shown some aggressive tendencies, he growls when brushed and he nipped me once, I blamed myself because I forget since I dont live with my mom I cant play with him like he is my dog. Any advice, feedback is welcome. We are so upset.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: aggressive dog
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 05:21:49 am »
I would have the dog checked out thoroughly by a vet first.  If all is clear health wise then definitely go with training.  It sounds like the dog's true personality is starting to emerge and he may be very dominant.  We adopted our TM almost 10 months ago and his personality is still changing a little at a time.  Your mom is going to have to establish her dominance over him and if she is not comfortable doing it may need some professional help.  Our female Springer would bite when you brushed her hips (because it hurt) or if you tugged too hard on a tangle.  Her skin was extremely tender for the last few years of her life.  She would also growl and try to bite you if you rolled her onto her stomach, again because it hurt.  Our Pyr will growl at my husband if he rolls him over in bed, but if he tells him to move, he will.  It's kind of funny because he never growls at me no matter what I do.  He thinks it is a game with my husband and wants to play if he is pushing him around physically. 
If you encourage and coach her through it, she should do just fine.  One of the first things she can try is making him earn everything he gets.  For his food, he has to sit, stay, shake hands, down, something.  Same thing for treats, petting, going outside, everything.  Anything he wants from her he has to earn.  That way he learns who is in charge.  Good luck and I hope this is something she feels she can work through.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 06:45:35 pm »
Ditto the health check and the trainer.  The dog might be arthritic and in pain.  For the safety of your mom, a professional evaluation is a great idea.

I am curious why she got such a big dog.  Based only on the description of her and the other dogs, I'd say that the dog might be a poor match for that particular household.  Is the Rottie aggressive to the little dogs?

Regarding "allergies" as a reason for giving up a dog...IMO that is the most common excuse/reason presented when a dog with behavior issues gets dumped.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline noodlesmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 08:45:40 pm »
Thank you for the advice. I agree the dog was a poor match for my moms household to begin with. My mom has a big heart but unfortunately that is not always the best thing when taking in dogs. My mom felt because we had rotties in the past she could handle it, but that was when my dad was also in the house which made the pack dynamic very different. Kaiser (rottie) is aggressive with the shi tzu. They bark and growl but never actually fight each other.
My mom is still unsure what to do. I am still encouraging her to get a trainer in there. He is really a sweet boy most of the time an would probably make a great pet in a different environment.
This was a sad lesson that being a dog lover and a wanting a big dog doesnt always qualify you as a good home for that dog. Thank you

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 05:40:18 am »
Protecting the Shih Tzu from the bigger dog would be a good start.  My little old fragile and blind dogs are seperated from the big bouncy 100-pound pup with dog gates bolted to the doorways.

If that were my mom, I'd take the Rottie home with me.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 07:38:56 am »
i won't go on and get on my soap box...but handling a rottie means being more stubborn and more dominate than the rottie.  I love my Grace (and i've handled 2 at a time before), but she pushes her limits.  i push back.  it's a constant battle.
your mom's new dog may not be aggressive in a mean way...he is simply doing what he is being allowed to do and taking every inch he is given. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:39:50 am by Lin, aka Playa »

Offline Britz

• Leader of the Pack
  • Mommy to Ethan, Kiera and Zeus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 04:08:56 pm »
Rottis hahai  have seriously  learnt  so much  from  my  dog  sence i got him and  yes  man  do the like to try to get  above you me and Zeus have had many many  growling  fights lol   NOt mean  agressive ones hom  just  giving  me  poooo . I woudl  agree with  every one else though
~Britainy
~Zeus-Rotti

Offline noodlesmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: aggressive dog update
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 01:01:07 pm »
Hi everyone-I wanted to thank everyone for their advice on my moms rottie. Things are much better. My mom is making him work for everything, ie treats, food etc. He is also no longer allowed on the bed. He seems much calmer and happier and there have been no more incidents. I am glad my mom did not panic and put him down. Thats the advice she seemed to be getting. Hopefully things will remain calm and peaceful.

Offline Jeri

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 02:09:56 am »
So glad things are working out.  Please remind your mom, if things end up not working out, that she can turn the dog into a rescue who might be able to find a home that the dog is more comfortable.  I'm sure your mom is an excellent pet owner but sometimes things just don't work out for whatever reason.  Glad to hear things are good but think Rescue before you think putting the dog down,
jeri