Author Topic: Apartment dog  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Blair2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Apartment dog
« on: December 06, 2007, 06:48:47 am »
I am planning on being moved out by next year sometime and would like to add a big paw to our family. I would so love to get a Great Dane but I just dont think I can, I would feel like I am replacing Mr. Grey and I feel the same about getting a Rottweiler. I know for sure I wil be in an apaprtment and I have already started saving for the pet deposit, cause I do have my Shih Tzu. I was just wondering if you all could give me some good breeds that will do well in an apartment and with a small dog. I would like to start researching the breeds and contacting breeders. There is also a chance I might rescue a dog from the pound, I have always wanted to but Ben would never let me. But in case I go with a breeder I would like to get to know them and them to get to know me before the puppies are on the ground. Also being a single mother alone wwith 2 girls I would like a dog to be protective, cause this will be my first time ever living alone and honestly I am a little scared :-\ I just thought its never too early to start researching and thought you all could help me :)
Blair....Mommy to the wanna be big paw.....

Gucci

lins_saving_grace

Re: Apartment dog
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:57:59 am »
first things first...
i hope you have learned and will take this with you into whatever relationship(s) with men you find... NEVER will a man "NEVER LET YOU" do anything.  get that out of your thought pattern.  OK?  it's hard i know.  I REALLY KNOW and i say that sometimes too.  but i say it in a way that means no man will ever tell me that again kinda way.  If I want to do something "YOU" will not tell me "NOT TO" do it.

secondly...try watching "Breed all about it" on Animal Planet on weekends.  they go through the breeds and give you personality characteristic s.  Rotts are really good in most situations.  Grace gets 5 bones in the adaptibility department.   Most apartment complexes won't let you have aggressive breeds though.
look into shows on animal planet and visit their website. 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:59:48 am »
And most of all....you look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Blair2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:05:13 am »
first things first...
i hope you have learned and will take this with you into whatever relationship(s) with men you find... NEVER will a man "NEVER LET YOU" do anything.  get that out of your thought pattern.  OK?  it's hard i know.  I REALLY KNOW and i say that sometimes too.  but i say it in a way that means no man will ever tell me that again kinda way.  If I want to do something "YOU" will not tell me "NOT TO" do it.

Oh I know!!!!!! After this whole mess I have learned a lot and I am actually talking to a wonderful man now, and he loves dogs ;D Im thinking I will end up rescuing a dog but just in case I dont I want to be prepared and know the breed extrememly well!!! I would love a Dane and Rotweiler in a heartbeat but I am just not ready. One breed I always wanted but wasnt "allowed" to was a standard poodle, so thats one breed I will be researching. I am also hoping to go to some dog shows and talk to breeders there. I like all breed of dogs and want them all LOL But I want a good fit for my family!!!

Gucci

Offline Blair2

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 07:21:40 am »
Yes you are right....Its going to be aleast a year before I add to our family, I just wanted to start the research now to make sure I get the right breed for my family. I am very glad I have my little Gucci, she is an awesome dog :) Thank you for your post, I really mean it ;)

Gucci

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 05:10:30 pm »
I vote poodle, but not until you get settled and plump up that bank account.  Those kids might want some college.

While I am not familiar with your situation, I am a huge fan of not living life according to what some man orders.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 06:03:47 pm »
I've heard that rescued greyhounds can make good apartment dogs.  As long as you make sure that they're tested to be small animal safe, I bet one would make a nice fit.  Just an idea...  ;D  (I've always wanted one myself, but we ended up adopting our 2 great pyrenees instead.)  Standard poodles are pretty great, too!  There's one that I see walking by the elementary school everyday, and he looks so proper and sophisticated!  Not like my crazy digging, chewing, trouble-causing big paws!!  LOL!