Author Topic: Boxer attacked my conure  (Read 20840 times)

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
Boxer attacked my conure
« on: July 27, 2005, 04:48:31 pm »
He has two holes in neck and one in head. He is okay for now but i dont know if he will survive.  I am so sick to my stomache right now with guilt. Dixie got out of laundry room. We had her in there because its hot. We leave his cage open because if he is confinded to cage he gets really mean.He can walk and talk and he is climbing and everything so i hope she didnt hit anything. I hope his eye opens its swollen shut.  I JUST FEEL AWFUL AND SO DEPRESSED.  ITS NOT HER FAULT SHE WAS JUST BEING A DOG.
Boxer slobbers from Dixie and Brutis

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Boxer attacked my conure
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 05:08:33 pm »
Poor Dixie and you! I hope the birdy gets better and the you were not too hard on Dixie. She didn't mean to hurt her feathery sibling.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 05:18:46 pm »
Ohhhhh poor birdy..... It is easily happened when you have birds and cats and dogs all in a happy mix. I have all of the above too.

First phillips, you say she has holes in her one in head and two in neck. How deep are they, and where are they located more exactly. Second, have you tried to clean them with something antiseptic. Birds are very very sensible and are not very good at dealing with bacterias or any other things either for that matter. Her eye is shut, is that because of the hole or does she have more injuries? Also try and move her into a quiet and not too cool room since I am pretty sure she is in chock.

Then if you have a neosporin or a tripple antibiotic, put that on the holes and places where the skin is broken. Do not try and feed her or make her drink, if she wants water fine, but I would take food away for now.

If you can afford it and have a vet. you take your birds to, I would call them. Birds really are very hard to handle with injuries. I have them myself and I have a license for wildlife rehab, but I still dont concider myself experienced enough to take bird of pray in when the are found. We have people in the wildlife rehab that have much more exprerience than I do. But the above is what I would have done, short of taking her to a vet.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing, I will keep everything I have crossed and send prayers your way. I know just how attached you can get to a bird.

marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 05:24:53 pm »
If your bird has holes in it, you should take it to the vet, either an exotic vet, aviary vet, or an emergency vet.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 05:32:58 pm »
dober_gurl, you are absolutely right, BUT a lot of emergency vets do not have qualifications to treat birds, and most exotic vets are not open at night. And sometimes you really want to do what is best for the animal, but knowing from personal experience just how expensive it can be to treat a bird, it is not always an option for everyone.

So naturally the ultimate would be to take it to a vet, but if that is not possible, you will have to work with what you have.

Ohhhh and I guess I should have re read my first post lol...... I mean that birds are extremely sensetive, not sensible lol..... ohhhh well you all know im an import, so that will have to be my excuse

Marit

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 06:19:17 pm »
Yes I do understand(I lost an indian ringneck about 2 years ago because we couldn't find a vet in time), but you never know until you try.. I own 4 birds myself, 2 cockatiels, 1 yellow fronted Amazon, and 1 quaker parrot.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 06:25:39 pm »
Thank all of you. We did clean wound it looks like a pretty good gash both places
applied neosporin and some quick stop gel to stop bleeding. He is acting fine just swelling looks bad. From what I can see its not injured the eye is still there. It is warm in the room he is in hotest place in house   He is just sitting on top of cage i have the door baracaded off.  No one can get in there nice and quite.  My mother in law helped me clean him and he was acting fine. he let us help him. No bird vet around here and no vet around here works with birds.  I am just going to keep wounds clean and qive it alittle time. I dont think dog hit anything major but only time will tell.  I wasnt hard on Dixie she was just being a dog.  I just feel guilty even though it was all an accident i am physically sick to the stomache and thanks everyone for being so supportive and not critical i could not stand that right now. i will keep you posted
Boxer slobbers from Dixie and Brutis

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 07:57:26 pm »
Phillips, I am sorry to hear about your bird. Like what was said before it was not Dixies fault. It was an accident.
We had a blue and gold macaw parrot and my first rotti pulled out a few tail feathers that were sticking out of the cage. After all the squawking barking and a small amount of bleeding everyone survived. Ricki the parrot just kept saying "what are you doing" "what are you doing"

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 08:23:38 pm »
I am so sorry for you & birdie...Pleas e keep us updated on how she is doing.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 08:28:54 pm »
I am glad she seems to be fine, hopefully now after cleaning and with rest she will be okay. Please keep us updated though, and you are right, it is in the dogs nature to try and explore or sometimes a little more. I had a very close call many years ago with a dane and a moluckian.

Now we only have a quaker and he is keeping everyone in the four legged population in this house on armslength lol.... They know X-man (son named him) is the boss and have accepted that.

Marit

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 08:33:24 pm »
I'm so very sorry about your birdy, and sure hope he will be ok.

You should consider getting a nice wire crate for your pup, and then she could be in the house in her own little space, and Mr. Conure would not have to stay in his cage.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 08:34:00 pm »
Man, Marit! You know everything! Thank god you're here!!!!! I hope I never have any kind of emergency, but if I do, its comforting to know that you're my BP friend!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 08:35:12 pm »
This is how it goes in my house by natural hiarchy...Evil Bunnies, Cats, Samson, guinea pig...The bunnies don't take no crap!...& Samson always lets the cats eat out of his bowl first...They all have their claws coincidently!...lol!

Icerotti

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 08:39:42 pm »
Lexi really wanted a bunny for easter. I actually considered it. BUUUT, not now after I keep hearing how evil these bunnies are.LOL

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 08:41:23 pm »
aww not all bunnies are evil! lol actually awhile back I had a female bunny that I thought was just the coolest! She was such a ham for attention and would freak people out when she would come out of no where and jump in their laps, while they were on the couch, to be petted. She was the puppy of bunnies!

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats