Author Topic: New Border Collie  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Neicy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
New Border Collie
« on: November 26, 2007, 04:59:11 am »

This is Lucy, she was born Sept 4th. She is our newest addition. I have always wanted a Border but waited because our children were young. Now that they are 13, 11 and 8 they are old enough to help us work with this active dog and help train her.

We also have an aged gentleman dog. He is a Dane/Lab cross. Best dog, is loving Lucy and gets along with her great. He is 12 and his name is Buddy.

Here they are their first few days together.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: New Border Collie
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:06:43 am »
Welcome!!! Your pup is super precious  :-* :-* :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Neicy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 05:55:23 am »
Thanks for the welcome :)

We live in Maine on a small farm. We dont have cows or sheep but do have horses and chickens.

My daughter and I ride our horses, and show them. They are both retired Standardbred race horses (the ones that pulled carts racing)which make great riding horses when they retire :)

We are looking for any advice with our new addition. Its been 12 years since we had a puppy and boy its exciting and sometimes stressful :)

I want to teach her the right way to do things especially with the kids. Seems like training ways have changed since 12 years ago when we took obedience. Does everyone use food now to teach their dogs?

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 09:52:50 am »
Hi Neicy!  Your pup is gorgeous!  I wouldn't worry too much about training a BC.  In my experience, BC'd don't need food rewards (at least mine wasn't very food motivated), they just seem to learn by being with you.   All they want is a pat on the head and they're happy as can be!  My old BC, Max, was so smart.  He seemed to know what I wanted from him before I even knew.  He was just amazing! ;D  Good luck with Lucy!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 07:51:25 pm »
Hi Neicy! Your puppy is adorable! And I love that pic with both of your pups! That is just too cute. I'm glad they get along so well!

BPO is great. I'm sure you'll love it here. There are so many great people here with alot of knowledge. It's also a great stress reliever! If you need to vent, I know the members of BPO wouldnt mind listening...wh ether dog related or not!!

I'm Samantha, mom to Miles, a 5 month old Great Pyreness.

I hope you enjoy yourself here. And enjoy that puppy! Some days you'll want to get rid of Lucy...but then you just look at her and say, "why in the world would I get rid of this adorable thing!?" hahaha. All kidding aside, Welcome to BPO!!!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 05:31:50 am »
Welcome! Your pup is absolutely precious. I love the picture of both of your dogs lying together--so sweet!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 06:33:33 am »
Welcome to BPO! I don't have a BC but my bullmastiff STILL hasn't gotten stay, especially if there are treats involved. He'll be 3 shortly. I'd have to agree with Tina that it all depends on the dog.
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat