Author Topic: Axel  (Read 8702 times)

Offline Axel

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Life with Axel
Axel
« on: December 06, 2007, 10:10:31 pm »
Hi there, my name is Liz and I am the proud new owner of "Axel" our 14 week old (as of last 12/01/07), male, Old English Mastiff. He weighed in at 42.2 pounds, 17" high at whithers and 18 long from base of neck to base of tail.   He is adorable and my husband and I are immediately attached.  The place we got him, they were feeding him puppy food with 37% protein. Most of the things we read said this is a no no.  So we have been gradually changing him to Eukanuba large breed adult dog food kibble.  This has 21% protein (? off the top of my head).  He is doing well with the housebreaking and loves to go in and out of his kennel/crate for naps. 

One of the main things we have a problem with is, him attacking our pant-legs and shoes.  It is tough to handle and my daughter (age 17) and son's girlfriend (age 20) have a hard time dealing with this behavior... any suggestions?

Other wise, he is a sweat boy and is doing well with the sit and down command, but still having trouble with the stay and come commands. 

I have been trying to get him to allow for a brushing but he wants to eat the brush and I have been trying to get him used to his nails being touched by massaging his paws and in between his toes regularly. 

Also, I try to put some mint flavored puppy toothpaste on my finger and rub it on his gums, but he just wants to eat my fingers instead.  Suggestions on these things would be wonderful.  :)

I've got a million questions and concerns, which you don't always find on the internet.  We had a yellow laborador for 10 years and I have forgotten what puppy rearing was all about.  Looking forward to interacting with everyone and learning a lot from those of you who have experience.
more pictures of our beloved puppy Axel can be found here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomkinson

Nicole

Re: Axel
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:16:31 pm »
HEY! Welcome! Axel is adorable! I'm Nicole mom to Cabeza, an 8 year old Newf/Chow mix.

I only have a second, but I just wanted to welcome you and say that you will certainly get wonderful advice here.

Quickly, I would add that as far as brushing and nails go, do it after he's well-excercised so that he's too tired to resist you. That REALLY helps!

Make him do a sit-stay before he gets treats and his food.

Also, speaking of food, I would recommend that you look at something other than Eukanuba, as its not really a good food. Especially for the money. There are lots better out there!

Ok, I have to run, but welcome and good luck!

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:36:04 pm »
You made a good call on switching the food to a lower protein.  You will find everone has there own opinions on what food to feed and you will have to do what is right for your dog and your budget.  Look outside of your vet to learn about large breed diets as vets genreally do not specialize in the needs of giant brreds like yours (ours).

My mastiff was not a huge fan of the brush when he was the age of yours.  I bought a rubber grooming glove and he took to that and we were able to transition to a shedding blade and a Furminator. 

As far as attacking shoe sand pants... I would reccomend substituting an acceptabele chew toy when he goes after an innapropriate one and praise the h*ll out of him when he engages the proper chew toy.  As suggested read up but the bottom line is refinforce the good behaviors and do not reward the poor ones.

The feet and teeth are initally handled easily when your pooch is tired.  They will get used to your finger in their mouth (or brush)or you handleing the nails and tend to be more accepting when they have low energy.

Keep asking questions and posting picutes.  The little guy in my signature picrute is now 11 months and 185 pounds so enjoy the "small stages" while you have the opportunity.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline Axel

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Life with Axel
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 03:40:01 am »
Thanks everyone for the nice warm welcome.  We are certainly looking forward to a rewarding relationship with our new baby.  I will look into the food issue and find something that will suit him.  Thanks for the tips!  I just signed him up for Puppy class, but that won't start till next month and he will be about 18 weeks old.  I am worried that he might be too old for puppy class, but the trainer assured me that he will be a fine age for training.

I love to hear his little (big) paws paddle across the kitchen floor when he walks to his food bowl.  Sounds like he has a big ole pair of slippers on his feet.
more pictures of our beloved puppy Axel can be found here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomkinson

Offline Axel

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Life with Axel
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 03:58:12 am »
Here's some pics of Axel: 

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 05:05:15 pm »
WOW!!! I know I say this every time a new puppy comes on the forum but OMG he is so cute (very handsome I mean)!!! Get ready for when your cute 'baby' weights 150lbs+ his giant paws paddle right on top of your foot and he thinks itsdue time for a full body loving lean, and a good ole slinger to hit the ceiling...fun times ahead for you  ;D

You must post pics as he grows into himself.. Welcome to BPO, this is a very helpful forum with tons of tips and tricks  ;D

I'm Kim ~ owned by a Master at the Slingers monster Miss Libby who will be 6yrs in Jan
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 06:59:46 pm »
Welcome to BPO. I have to agree, he is a cutie!

I'm Annette and I have an almost 3 year old Bullmastiff, Jagermeister. I switched Jager to Eukanuba when I first got him but found that his digestion (and gas!) fair better with Purina One. There are probably alot better foods out there for him and as Tina said there is a list of top kibbles in the Food Forum.

Jager just now got used to sitting for us to brush him. He chewed the first one  ::)

As far as the teeth and paws go, like everyone else suggested, wait till he's worn out. Jager's toe was broken when he was a puppy (he decided to run under my feet when I was jumping on the deck  :-\ ) so he won't let you mess with that foot too much but the other paws he'll let you play with. I got pretty much open his mouth and put my hand in there at any time. He trained me as a puppy that napkins, paper and socks taste go so I had to go on a slobbery expedition to retrieve them  ::) The biting and chewing do stop but replacing with something appropriate helps alot! And good behavior rewarded goes a LONG way.

Jager has a bunch of these toys: (the crackler toys keep him busy)
http://fatcatinc.stores.yahoo.net/crdogtoyse.html

Welcome to the board!
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

lorim2

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 08:18:14 pm »
Awww..Axel is soooo cute.  I sure miss those days when they were little babies!  We got Marley at 8 wks and he weighed 21 lbs then.  I remember we carried him for like a week and then he was to big...We did puppy training at 10 wks and he did wonderfully!  Good luck with the food and I would def check out the food forum as suggested.  Please post more pics of that cute little face!!  Welcome!

lorim2

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 08:22:18 pm »
Oh yes almost forgot!!  You should get a handle on the shoe thing now because obviously I didnt...I bought like 7 pairs of flipflops about a month ago from Old Navy before they quit selling for the winter...I just put on my last pair today...Marley has eaten 6 pairs in less than a month..I know I know...I should put them away but I usually just kick them by the recliner and wala..when I get home they are in little pieces!!

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 03:59:35 am »
Aww look at that face!!
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline KKsmiles

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 04:19:22 am »
He is definately one good looking puppers! That face is just to die for, and those big feet.. they make me smile! I am glad you are asking questions, saves me from asking. I am just soaking up the advice. And do post more pictures, I never get tired of seeing furbabies at play, or sleep, or even being naughty.
Koda - Newf/Lab
Gizmo - Orange TabbyCat

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 05:11:53 am »
He is down right adorable!!!! You did say he would be under my tree Christmas morning right??? ;)
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 05:44:10 am »
Awwwe, how adorable he is!  Welcome to BPO!

My name is Chris and my crew consists of Keiko, a husky/shep mix, Gunther, a great dane, and Nigel and Posey, two rat terriers.

My how I miss having a big paw puppy.  makes me want another one!

You have some great advice here about the food and training so I don't need to add anything else here.  Welcome again!  Looking forward to seeing more pix.