Author Topic: Labradoodle???  (Read 5070 times)

Offline Breezy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Labradoodle???
« on: December 08, 2007, 05:52:36 am »
Can labradoodles be bred to look more like Labradors with straight hair??

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Labradoodle???
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 07:58:34 am »
If I am remembering my genetics correctly, no.  The first generation cross will have the longish, curly fur.  They'd have to breed the labdoodlemutt back to another lab to get straight fur.

I am saving up for a ponydoodle.  See some here:   http://www.caninehorizons.com/The_Ponydoodle.html
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 09:21:56 pm »
 Yes, the "Labradoodle" can have more of the retriever coat. However, the dogs true coat will not be apparent until they reach maturity so there is no guarantee that a straighter coated Labradoodle puppy will maintain that coat into adulthood. If you are looking for a hypoallergenic dog (as other threads imply) you are going to want the curly coat of the poodle. Unfortunately phenotype is controlled by genotype...or if you want your dog to look more like a lab, you get more lab genes. A labrador coat is not going to be hypoallergenic . The "breeders" also don't guarantee that the dogs are hypoallergenic .
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 09:22:17 pm by MeandPhelan »

Offline dogcrazyforever

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Beretta- 7 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 12:49:24 am »
Like the above post stated, if it has hair similiar to that of a lab, you will be allergic to it just as if it were a lab.
What Man Doesn't Understand
Man Fears
And What Man Fears
Man Destroys.

Stop B.S.L.

Offline AdinaP

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 08:46:48 pm »
In any first generation labradoodle litter there is often a few more labby labradoodles (straighter hair, etc).  I have two labradoodles.  Different litters.  One rescue, one from a breeder.  One is curlier, and one looks more labby, with a scruffy face, but the rest of her hair is just slightly longer than a lab...not much longer.

Adina
www.DoodleKisses.com