Author Topic: My poor Christmas Tree  (Read 10102 times)

bigdogs@5501

My poor Christmas Tree
« on: December 09, 2007, 11:08:27 pm »
I waited until today to start the process of putting the tree up and decorating. Last year was not exactly a good year for the tree and presents in our household thanks to the lovely 4 legged terrorist group. It was up about 1 hour (looked great for that one hour) before they started the deconstruction of the tree. Bella and Bailey think that the pretty balls are toys. Jake uses his tail and pretends he is in some little league baseball tournament. So far they have broken six this evening.
I am wondering if I will have any decorations left on the tree for Christmas Day.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: My poor Christmas Tree
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 11:14:34 pm »
I waited until today to start the process of putting the tree up and decorating. Last year was not exactly a good year for the tree and presents in our household thanks to the lovely 4 legged terrorist group. It was up about 1 hour (looked great for that one hour) before they started the deconstruction of the tree. Bella and Bailey think that the pretty balls are toys. Jake uses his tail and pretends he is in some little league baseball tournament. So far they have broken six this evening.
I am wondering if I will have any decorations left on the tree for Christmas Day.
LMAO this is exactly why we dont put up a tree. LOL.
Hopefully yours makes it to xmas, and maybe boxing day ;)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 01:52:32 pm »
Hmmm...this year should be interesting. We've only had a tree once in the 9 years that Mark and I have been together. This will be a new round of kitties, so we'll see what they do.

Cabeza will be fine. Although, he did pee on my MIL's tree once. But, I think he's outgrown that now.

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 02:20:09 pm »
So far, so good at our house.  The dogs seem be be ignoring it altogether (after an initial sniff) and only one cat is batting at the lower ornaments but a spray bottle quickly put an end to that, at least for the time being!  I plan on putting the presents under it as I wrap them, but WITHOUT bows or ribbons, as they always get mangled, eaten or stolen by the cats.  I usually just put them on at the last minute before we distribute the gifts.  I keep waiting to come home and find the entire tree on it's side.  I breathe a sigh of relief each time I enter the house and see it still standing!
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »
Hmmm, am I weird or what? I have 6 cats and 6 dogs (3 gsd datchie and a saint)inside the house (and dont forget about foster puppy 4 mo old - she might be the real tree destryer), put up my tree on Friday and it is still there! I even put the little bells on the lowest branches so cats can play with them... They play nicely, and I can hear the bells ringing, thats it. '
Last year was the same... but we had not had a saint then.
But for safety I'm putting only plastic ones at the bottom level, as glass may not survive the tails

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 02:43:05 pm by AnnaCrew »
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline KKsmiles

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 02:42:44 pm »
We had ours up a few days before we got our pup. So it's been a no-no since she's gotten here. It is also sitting up on a box so that it is up higher. We also put the nice ornaments in middle and top of tree. Since we are still house breaking the pup she s under supervision at all times in the livingroom so corrections are constant and quick. Maybe since we had it up when she got here she will remember the rules next year... wishful thinking??
Koda - Newf/Lab
Gizmo - Orange TabbyCat

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 02:56:04 pm »
I said heck with it and put the glass ornaments on our tree this year. So far so good. Bubba and Lola have both went in for a sniff.. but that's it. I wanted a real tree.. but I was worried that Bubba would pee on it. So we put up a fake tree instead. :-\

Last year we used to styrofoam ornaments since Bubba taught Lola to take them off the tree. Problem was Bubba would take them and play with them, Lola took them and ate them! :o In their defense though they do look like tennis balls. LOL

Offline KKsmiles

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 03:49:52 pm »
gr8dame - you just made me giggle while I took a drink of coffee, now I am recovering from a chokefest. I am a visual person... and that picture in my head is just too funny. Let me add what a genius you are, talk about some free entertainment.
Koda - Newf/Lab
Gizmo - Orange TabbyCat

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 03:50:41 pm »
Plus last night I strung Strider's collar with oversized jingle bells as a distraction. So far he has been too busy making the bells ring to worry about the tree. ;D He is truely special.

BWAHAHAH!!!  I love Strider.  ;D

*SNORT* HAHAHAHA! I love Strider, too. He is certainly entertaining. That's hilarious, Stella.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 05:11:22 pm »
HAHA!  Poor, special Strider!  I love hearing about his antics.

I have been so busy getting gifts and a stocking for Sierra's first Christmas, I hadn't even thought about that this is going to be her first experience with a Christmas TREE.  

Oh Lord.

I'm not worried about her trying to play with the balls, but I am a little concerned about her trying out for Paige's little league team.  Other than trying to chew on the trunk, like she does to the outside trees (yes, she really does and I can only imageine what you are all thinking!), I really don't expect her to do any intentional damage.  However, I do clearly envision my little bulldozer plowing right through the tree.  I'm not hanging ornaments on the tree, I'm tying them on with double knots.

Pine tree sap is going to be a little tough to get out of her hair...

Jenn - my cat Oscar has also put a stop to any and all bows on gifts at my house.  Bows and to stuff more food in his face are the only times the fatso will get off his duff.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 05:18:30 pm »
Pfffftttt!  hahahhaha

I'm just imagining Strider dancing along to the sound of the bells.  hehehehe.  I got a coller for Naja that does the same, but because I'm the ADD one and love the sound of the bells... lol

We haven't put up our tree yet for fear of the dreaded needle mess, but I'm looking forward to see what our Fluff Butts will think of it.  And it's going to be ALL plastic ornaments this year around.   ;D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 06:42:09 pm »
We put our tree up on the weekend and so far so good. This is the first year that Harley is not crated during the day during christmas. I have removed all the presents from under the tree because I know those wouldn't survive! The cat has found a new home under the tree, it is quite cute  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 09:56:49 pm »
My pack also have their bells attached to their collars, and it is nice - you can hear them at night if they are not seen... They like bells too. Usually we are loosing few during the season, as for safety reasons they are not attached very strongly - I better loose some bells instead of loosing dog if something goes wrong...
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498