Author Topic: Jogging with my Pyr??!!  (Read 5755 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Jogging with my Pyr??!!
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:33:43 pm »
So there are these wooded trails near my house that I take the dogs to and it is by far, Jenny's most favorite place to go. She instantly perks up, tail and head held high, and walks very fast...this brings me to my question, when she walks fast, it's really more of a trot (she sometimes breaks into a canter!), and my little 2-legged self can't keep up comfortably. I found myself yesterday jogging beside her, then I looked over and thought, "OMG, I'm jogging with my pyr!"

What I want to make sure of is this ok for her? I don't force her to trot, she is setting the pace, when she stops to sniff, I stop with her, etc. But she is the first giant breed dog I've had and I don't want to hurt her, I guess I'm thinking in terms of joints, etc. What do you guys think? 
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Jogging with my Pyr??!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:46:56 pm »
She is 2 right?  As long as she wants to do it and you build up slowly, I don't see a problem.  I know that some dogs will keep going after they should have stopped just for the joy of your company.  That is the reason for building up distance slowly, to accustom them to it.  My IW and Pyr jog with me.  They would both be much happier if I moved much quicker, but unfortunately my running flat out is still a lope at best for Max.  I can't move fast enough for him.  I didn't do much more than very short walks at first and have gradually built up distance and time with both of them.  We go to the local ballfield and jog laps around it, that way they are on grass not concrete.  Concrete is extremely hard on a dogs joints.  I was told by a lot of the local pyr owners that their dogs jog with them all the time.  It is great exercise and the vet agreed.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:20:23 pm »
Jogging - what's that?!?!?  Never heard of it.   :o
We have to continually coax and praise (and correct!) Jack for lagging on our walks.  Our Swissy will happily walk as fast as we want, and run if we let her, but Jack has other plans.  He is a LOPER, not a RUNNER!

We got "walky dog" bike attachments for both of them and Greta (the Swissy) does great and loves to run along side the bike.  We can't even ride slow enough to keep pace with Jack without falling over so we won't be getting much use out of tha second one!
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:30:22 pm »
Most of our walks are nice and slow. Sometimes nice and brisk. And sometimes Lily LOVES to run as fast as she can for 1/2 - 1 mile or so and I know, one day I will get a heart attack :D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 02:54:46 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 02:53:14 pm »
Jogging - what's that?!?!?  Never heard of it.   :o
We have to continually coax and praise (and correct!) Jack for lagging on our walks.  Our Swissy will happily walk as fast as we want, and run if we let her, but Jack has other plans.  He is a LOPER, not a RUNNER!

We got "walky dog" bike attachments for both of them and Greta (the Swissy) does great and loves to run along side the bike.  We can't even ride slow enough to keep pace with Jack without falling over so we won't be getting much use out of tha second one!

When we walk on the sidewalks around our neighborhood, I often feel like I'm leading a small pony! She starts out walking beside me, but will end up way behind and I'm having to coax her to keep up. It's only in the woods where she shows this enthusiasm--its how I know she loves it so much.  ;)
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 07:41:10 pm »
Actually Jack has had a bit of extra "get up and go!" since we got some snow last week.  He loves to run in the snow.  It's really the first time we'd seen him run full out for more than a "dash".  I think it's a sign that his elbows are feeling better since his surgery.  He still sits with his front feet turned outward but he doesn't limp at all anymore and only seems stiff some of the time instead of all the time.  Who knows - I wish they could talk! ;D
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!