Author Topic: non-shedding newfie?  (Read 9021 times)

lookingfornewf

non-shedding newfie?
« on: December 15, 2007, 06:48:32 pm »
I have an almost 4 month old Newfie puppy. It is wonderful that he doesn't shed yet. I was just wanting to know how long I got to enjoy this before he sheds grocery bags full.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: non-shedding newfie?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 07:02:59 pm »
I would say next spring/summer you will have a job to do, LOL!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 09:47:06 am »
When Miles was around 3 months old I was thinking...man, why isn't this dog shedding!? Then, a month later...I started finding clumps all over the floor! It's coming, trust me!!

Surprisingly.. .he hasn't been shedding much lately. I can't even get hair out of him when I brush him. But I'm assuming it's because he's still growing his coat. (And it's not spring/summer yet..) hahaha.

Yeah, just about the time you talk about your cutie not shedding, he'll start!

P.S. That picture of him in the snow is SO cute. It should be in a calendar. Maybe....the BPO Calendar!? :o
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 11:51:29 am »
LOL....that picture of him in the snow!  That is exactly what Bodhi looks like when he comes in! 

I have to say, Bodhi really doesn't shed much.  Of course, we also have a Dalmatian....a nd next to a Dalmatian, any other shedding seems mild, lol.  Dals shed year-round and their short wiry hair doesn't just stick to your clothing, it weaves it's way into the fabric...it's a nightmare! 

When I was researching Newfies, I read all kinds of warnings about how much grooming they required...but for some reason I find brushing dogs with that undercoat to be immensely satisfying, lol.  I really feel like I am accomplishing something when I get out all that fuzz....so I enjoy brushing Bodhi!  I just wish he would be more cooperative... .he is all about trying to chew on the brush and my arm while I'm doing it.  I have to give him a peanut butter Kong to get anything done!
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:58:13 am »
Sierra started really shedding around 5-6 months.  Clumps of black hair all over a beige rug...and the hair seems to reproduce itself magically!  I don't know how she wasn't bald with all the hair she lost.  After she got her adult hair in though, it calmed down and it's not so bad.  I haven't been through an entire year with her yet though, so see me in the spring and I can let you know how it's going.  LOL!

I thought that picture of Clifford was a charcoal sketch at first...he's so cute, what an awesome picture!!  Definitely should be in the BPO calender!!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 06:11:19 pm »
All I have to say is check out the Hoover or Bissel commercial with the Newf. If you're not proactive when he does start shedding or if you're lax one week thats what you'll have.

Tim

I believe its on YouTube.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:58:56 pm »
LOL I love that commercial.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline My Kahlua-Bear! :-]

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 01:17:04 pm »
Really? Wow, when I got Kahlua she started shedding almost immediately. I would come downstairs every morning to see little tumbleweeds of Newfy fur. Lu loves to chase them before i  get to them with the vacuum. All I have to say is enjoy it while you can, because pretty soon you will be finding a bunch of new dogs made completely from hair :)

lookingfornewf

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha  ;D ;D I forgot all about that post. That was 8 months ago. Clifford is a year now. I brush him everyday and fill a waste basket with fur. I vacuum everyday and have to empty the vacuum each time, sometimes more than once. And yet anybody coming into the house probably thinks I haven't vacuumed in months. He sheds more fur everyday than can possibly be on him and yet still has lots. I wish he still had his baby puppy fur that didn't shed. ::)

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 11:49:45 pm »
Tank, our newfie mix, started shedding from the minute we got him! lol

Brushing his shedding winter coat took soo long!! lol