Author Topic: When will this adolescence be over???  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
When will this adolescence be over???
« on: December 16, 2007, 06:05:14 pm »
 ???So, we have an akita boy.  He's 2.5 and very much a boy.  He still experiences the zoomies and still has much difficulty with jumping (due to excitement), lunging, tearing (papers/boxes/screens)and bowling over our guests.  We have had him since age 4mo and although he is much better than he used to be, he is still very impolite. 
We have done everything!
Obedience classes (passed out of all levels at a top school), "busy" toys, reign of the backyard/garage for exercise, walking, dog parks, trips in the car, visits to our parent's houses, hide and seek with treats in the house, trips to the park, trips to the downtown area, trips to our work, etc...
He is still very much a puppy and often gets what we call "crazy eyes" just before he goes on one of his 'rants'.  He continues to destroy stuff of mine and I am sure it's not out of anger, but attention seeking. 
Does anyone have advice for how to get through this? How much longer did your akita's adolescence last???  I know each dog is different, but I have to ask!
Thanks!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: When will this adolescence be over???
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 03:14:09 pm »
Thanks for the info...Here's the thing.  He is nutered (has been altered since before we adopted him - so sad since he is of generations of champions!).
Also, the crate is wonderful, he likes it but I find that when we are home, keeping him in the crate is torture!  He yelps as if we are beating him, all attention seeking behaviors!  It also seems that when we take him out he is a pent up ball of even more energy! 
I think we are fooling ourselves to think that he is playing while we are gone at work when he has the garage and back yard to himself.  Am I right about this?  I bet he is sleeping all day!!  Maybe we should go back to the crate during the day! 
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 05:48:29 pm »
I would definately think about crating him during the day when you're not home then.  Just make sure he is occupied so he doesn't fuss too much.  Frozen Peanut Butter Kongs work wonders as so many here will attest to.  ;)

Good luck!

Modified 'cause my spelling sux!   ;D  lol
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:25:21 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Gemz

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:04:16 pm »
it seemed to be Tai's 4th birthday that he calmed down.

dont give up

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 03:08:56 pm »
Thanks!  Secretly...I was looking for an actual age prediction!!! Thank all of you who responded.
       10 y/o American Akita