Author Topic: Winter Coat  (Read 2503 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Winter Coat
« on: December 17, 2007, 02:06:35 pm »
i've noticed Naja's coat is still quite thin, and her belly is almost bare.  Is this normal?  I know that she's still very young, and that she will never have the full Great Pyrenees coat because she's an indoor dog, but it is winter.  Shouldn't she have a bit of thickness to it?  you can see skin in her armpits, not while she's standing mind you, but when she's lying on her back with her paws all up in the air like she likes to do, you can totally see skin under her arms, well legs I guess, but the front ones. lol  And her belly is almost completely bare.  Should this be cause for concern, or is it normal for a young, indoor, female Great Pyrenees to have thinner fur?
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
Re: Winter Coat
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 02:14:16 pm »
Jack has a huge thick coat and he's developing quite the mane and tail but his fur on his tummy and armpits is thin enough that you can see his pink/gray spots!  So I think that's a common Pyr fur pattern apparently.   Now if we can just get the hair to grow all the way back on his front legs since his surgery, he'll lose the "fur vest" look that he's been sporting since September!  :-\
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:54:47 pm »
Jenny has a pretty thick coat and a "mane" as well, but her belly is pretty bare, too, and she is definitely an indoor dog.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 01:00:11 am »
Cirra has typically had an unusually thick undercoat but shed that thoroughly in the fall.  We can see her skin now at the pits and chest.  It is cold here in Maine, so she is inside a lot, especially once the ice is everywhere-like now.  She'll get a thicker undercoat by winter's end and then have to shed it.  denise