Author Topic: Stinky collars?  (Read 6158 times)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Stinky collars?
« on: December 18, 2007, 01:35:48 am »
My dogs' collars stink-completely awful funky smells. I'll admit it.

So what do I do about it? How often do you wash your dogs' nylon collars? Even with washing, theirs stunk. Do leather collars solve this problem? I had those thin leather collars on them for a while, but Sadie chewed up the end of Riley's (yes, he just laid there and let her do it). Would a choke chain as a collar work? It seems dangerous.

They've been collar-less for two weeks now (they walk in prong collars). I'd feel more comfortable if they wore collars, even though they have microchips and are house dogs. Their microchips are a bit messed up-one is down the middle of one dog's back and the other has it up too high in their neck (can't remember which is which, though). If someone breaks into the house or they get loose somehow, I want them to be easily identified, especially around here. They are very nice looking dogs, and I get odd comments all the time... like compliments but sort of off in some way, so I'd be afraid someone would keep them! It's kind of a rough area of town, and considering the state of the other "pets" in my neighborhood, they probably wouldn't end up in good hands! Their id's say "reward for return" with their names and my phone number.

Tips? Or do I just have stinky-necked dogs? I swear the rest of them doesn't smell like this!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Stinky collars?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 02:07:36 am »
Personally, I would just go buy new nylon collars for them, if washing them hasn't seemed to help. Sorry I don't have any other recommendation s!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 03:13:43 am »
Would a choke chain as a collar work? It seems dangerous.

I would not suggest it since it is very dangerous.

Where are you washing them at? I now wash mine in the dish washer and find they come out much cleaner then when done the washing machine.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 12:11:31 pm »
I use leather collar only. In fact, Lily still wearing the one I bought when we brought her home 15 months ago. It doesn't smell at all and I never washed it or even wiped it! She doesn't wear it in the house though...only when we are going out. I have to admit it took me a while to train hubby to this "awful procedure" of putting/taking collar on/off all the time, LOL! ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 12:16:32 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 12:14:20 pm »
Puck too has been victim to "stink collar". I switch his to leather and it is way better.

A cup full of vinigar in the wash will help too.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 12:27:14 pm »
Naja and Moo both have Nylon collers and we haven't had any problems with either of them, right now Naja is wearing a Nylon coller with Christams bells on it (but that's just because she's my Christmas Jingle Pyr!), and I haven't bothered washing her other one cause it doesn't absorb enough of her body oils to make it smelly.  :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 02:42:52 am »
I think it's the fact that they swim, and I don't always take the collars off, and I take them off to try but don't leave them off long enough to dry completely. I didn't mention that earlier. I don't want them running around the lake or creek without a collar on, but I should let them dry completely afterwards.

At any rate, I found that sort of reflective bright orange collar I mentioned. I got one for Sadie. It looked too small for Riley, though I had to trim some slack for Sadie. I got Riley a leather one. One of the guys at the store mentioned a website-he said it was "Olley dogs" but I can't find it on google-that sells waterproof dog collars.