Author Topic: Saints and Stairs....  (Read 17097 times)

NYbigdog25

Saints and Stairs....
« on: December 20, 2007, 02:49:37 pm »
I was wondering if anyone else has saints and stairs. My new Puppy seems to have a lot of trouble with our stairs. he is fine with two or three steps but to get upstairs we usually end up carrying him and well at 13 weeks and 30lbs it won't be much longer we can do this! He also has a lot of trouble going down them should I avoid them all together or could this just be because he's not used to a lot of steps? Thanks!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Saints and Stairs....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:40:05 pm »
I carried Naja up and down the stairs till she was tall enough and confidant enough around them to be able to navigate them herself.  I only needed to do it till she was maybe 16 weeks, give or take a week or two.  :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 03:44:03 pm »
I carried Naja up and down the stairs till she was tall enough and confidant enough around them to be able to navigate them herself.  I only needed to do it till she was maybe 16 weeks, give or take a week or two.  :)

Rella was the same way. Once she got used to them, she was fine.

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 03:45:55 pm »
To save the joints of apup vets reccomend carry puppy as long as you can, especially down the stairs.
Joints are the weakest part in pup, and must be really looked after. for going down try to carry puppy and if not, keep the lead tight to prewent jumping downfrom the last steps - mine tried to jump down even last 6-8 steps and it can damage joints so easy.
Some vets say that it is bad for St. Bernards (and other large breeds) to clim stairs at any age, others believe that healthy pup can do it without a damage. But anyway - be careful with pup on stairs.
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:21:48 pm »
I remember the days when I could carry Bodhi up and down the stairs....hard to believe that was only about a year ago!  Now HE carries ME down the stairs....by thundering down them at break-neck speed and knocking over anything in his path! LOL!
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »
Big dogs, especially Saints, and going up or down stairs should be avoided all together. It's just way too hard on their joints, especially on a growing puppy's. It can do serious damage to forming and growing joints. Plus, if the dog misses a step ever and falls down them, they could be seriously injured. Try to train your Saint not to climb the stairs, even if you go up them. It's for his own good that he not go up or down them.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 09:24:10 pm »
Do you have particularly steep steps? Zoey is fine on steps with a lower rise, but steep steps freak her out.
RIP former BPO

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 01:38:01 pm »
I never knew that giant breeds should avoid steps altogether.  That creeps me out....because in our house it is almost impossible to avoid them.  The only way to let the dogs out into our backyard is through the basement door or the deck, which also has stairs down into the yard.  We live in mountainous western Maryland where it is hard to find a level piece of ground to build on.  Our deck is ground level at the front of the house, but 10 feet above the ground at the back of the house....and our basement is a walkout. 

Now I'm going to worry about this.....
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 06:09:26 pm »
Well, I suppose I should add something to that. Obviously, ALL stairs can't be avoided. If you go somewhere with your dog and there are 2 or 3 stairs going up somewhere, those really shouldn't be an issue. However, if there is a ramp, use it instead. Try to avoid them as much as possible. But I'd still say, for going up a flight of stairs, it's a big no no and is very hard on the hips and elbows of big dogs.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 05:48:08 pm »
I carried my first pup for two months.  I was very over-protective with just about everything.  Now, two pups later, I don't bother.  Two reasons:  They play with each other much harder and more often then going down the stairs a handful of times each day.  I also find it more dangerous to carry a 30-40 pound puppy down a flight of stairs.  There have been a few times I've almost had a serious accident because I can't see where I'm going or I have a puppy trying to either lick/bite my face off.  SO I only carry when I really need to.
I let them figure the stairs out on their own without pushing them to do something they weren't ready for.  When they went down or up I would be there to help them and give them lots of praise even when they stumbled so they wouldn't be spooked.  My last puppy, I carried him down for about three weeks on and off and helped him up only a few times.  He is a Master of Stairs.
When he's going down just make sure you go down a few steps ahead of him so he knows you're there.  His confidence(along with physical development) will get there eventually as long as he doesn't have a bad experience.  Have fun with your new pup!

Offline Mallory's Mommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 11:30:53 pm »
Mallory still has issues with steps. It's not so much a fear issue as it is her big ole' legs and paws getting tangled up and hindering her coordination. Thankfully, we have a wooden wheelchair ramp outside our home and we've been walking up that until she grows into her legs  ;D
Mary, mommy to Mallory, the Saint Bernard pup

NYbigdog25

Re: Saints and Stairs....(updated with pics!!)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 11:10:41 pm »
Thanks for all of the info everyone!! Sorry I haven't been on in a while been really busy!! Well he has mastered the stairs I think because my other dog runs right up them and he didn't want to be the only one downstairs. Right now he only goes upstairs at night and down in the morning the rest of the day he lays around downstairs!

P.S. Here are some new pics of him!!!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 08:07:46 am »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o WE HAVE TWO SAINT'S MOLLY AND MAGGIE,I CARRIED THEM BOTH UP AND DOWN TILL THEY WHERE AT LEAST THREE, MOS AND THEN AS THEY GO UP YOU ALWAYS NEED TO BE BEHIND THEM AND WHEN YOU COME DOWN THEY NEED TO BE ON A GOOD LEASH IT VERY VERY IMPORTANT,FOR HIP PROBLEMS LATER, OURS OUR GREAT NO PROBLEMS MOLLY IS 160 MAGGIE IS 125, THEY ARE THREE AND FOUR, YEARS OLD!! IF YOU FOLLOW WHAT DID YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM BABY STEPS ALWAYS HAVE THE LEASH ON UP OR DOWN SO HE WILL NOT FALL!!!! NEVER LET HIM GO ALONE, PUT A GATE UP IT IS VERY IMPORANT!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!