Author Topic: To adopt 7 y o ?  (Read 9195 times)

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
To adopt 7 y o ?
« on: December 20, 2007, 03:38:50 pm »
I know, I'm mad but here at present moment a 7 yo certified therapy dog - Cecil need home ASAP and I applied. Before me is another potential adoptee but there are suspicions that it will not work.

So, if tomorrow I will say yes, what I must to know for 7 yo Newf girl?

She is quaified therapy dog, even quite famous here, and if she is coming to my house, she deserves to be pampered, poor old homeless lady.

I do not expect any beheivior problems, but would like to get from you other possible hickups - never adopted senior dog into my household.

I already have 1 GSD bitch who might be quite bitchy and 2 GSD boys who will adore here, I'm sure. We also have my rescue Grace - she is 10-11 month old girl, she is still a puppy so that can not be a problem.

Please, all suggestions and if you have an idea that it will not work, then say it too. I'm open for any ideas.
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: To adopt 7 y o ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 03:47:38 pm »
I just want to say.  Anna.  You are my hero!  You have room and love to spare to the unfortunate animals who would otherwise not know the loving touch of a human hand again.  If I end up being half the good person you are, I'll have done just fine. :D  :D 
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 03:48:09 pm »
Congratulation s!! Wonderful you are willing to take an older dog into your home.

I don't have e newf (yet, someday)but I do know when you introduce the dogs you should do it in a netural area...park, parking lot ect. A long walk for all the dogs prior to that is also a recommendation I see alot to tire them out.

Good luck and keep us posted please!

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 03:53:38 pm »
Noo, for my dogs it does not work - we must act opposite! New dog stright into the house and voila - say hello to the new doggy! :D

Outside my dogs can become territorial a bit, but any dog inside - it is ok, then they know that we want it to be like that and they can go stright outside and play.

We are the bosses and if we invited dog in, then our dogs tolerate it, no problem. (Last weekend we had 32 dogs into our house and later they were all playing outside like loonies - it was great fun, my pack is well socialized, and friendly).

I'm more worried about specific needs and beheivior of an old lady -  what I must to expect and respect? She will be one stressed.

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 04:03:21 pm »
Noo, I'm not a hero, I'm a fool, to be honest! But I have a large house, large garden and dog loving husband (it is quite unusual, but if it would be his will, here would be even more pets), so I'm just lucky - it would be bad not to share it - you know, they make house much warmer and cozier. So I'm one who is gaining.

I'm not really keen on this dog, because we have maybe only 10 qualified therapy dogs in the whole country so it will be selfish to take the dog in just for myself, if somebody who has disabled child and would like to take her would apply. I am only the second choice, if such will be needed.

It will be decided tomorrow, but I already want to get ready for it. In case as Christmas at my house is not the most calmest time of the year - my 5 yo niece will be here, my mum with her Datchund and my friend with her own Weim, poodle that she is fostering while owners on hols and another Weim teenager that she is planning to pick up tomorrow. So on Monday will be a bedlam here - not very calm adoption day, but the family where dog is now, what to get rid of her ASAP. So it is a bit rush situation and not time for choices and considering then.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:11:22 pm by AnnaCrew »

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 04:07:42 pm »
Thank you for idea. I will at least put in the bedroom door in case if she will like to stay alone as I do not haveany crates - so far did not needed them. I have onecrate for smaller critters, like cats after op or so, kept a toyterrier mix puppy there at night as he was very active and i worried that my large pack can step accidentaly on him at night, but Newfie probably will be not able to stuck her head into it. But seperate room, yes, it might help her to settle in.

What else?

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 04:19:54 pm »
She is the bitch, so probably she will get wel with my male dogs. She is not spayed (by some reasons, I do not know), and my femape spayed bitch can be quite bitchy sometimes.

When Grace arrived she even attacked her few times not in a playful mode, and needed serious telling off for such beheivior.

As Newfy is a teraphy dog, for years working with disabled children, she may be overprotective alfa, so, yes, you are right, pack dynamic will change and it can create some arguments...

Peeing in the house is priority of nmy St.Bernard rescue - she spent her whole life on chain outside, so she is somewhere at the end of hosetraining - she still has minor accidents in the house after two months of training.

This girl was spending her days at kindergartens, hospitals and families with disabled children so probably housetraining will be not on the top of the list. See, so far she was treated quite well, except the fact that she was passed from family to family, without having herown home and proper owner - that is the devastating part. But in general she is really sweet, very well socialized and trained dog.

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 04:30:11 pm »
I have a large house, large garden and dog loving husband (it is quite unusual, but if it would be his will, here would be even more pets

Uh....does he have a brother?? LOLOL!! (ssssshhhh....d on't tell my husband I said that!)

I can't help but wonder....how did a registered therapy Newf end up in this situation?  I always thought people who put in the time and effort to train a therapy dog were not the kind to get rid of them easily. How did she end up being passed from home to home?
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 04:40:24 pm »
I think you are doing a great thing. She has obviously earned her retirement so to speak.  I believe in starting out the way I mean to go with my dogs.  They come into the house, have to live with everyone else and if they need time alone, they have to find "their" place.  I will feed them a few feet apart if need be, but that is it.  I don't crate them and don't put them in separate rooms.  I have had to reinforce potty habits with a newbie, but that is about it.  The pack dynamics will change with every new addition, but the dogs sort that out rather quickly.  I don't interfere.  If she is not spayed, you will probably not have to deal with much in terms of a senior female.  As long as she is healthy, you should be home free.  I would just set aside some time for loving and reassuring her and go on with life.  The sooner she accepts that nothing unusual or too demanding of her, the quicker she will be able to relax and enjoy her new life with you.  Sounds like she is going to be getting a fantastic new life for Christmas.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 04:44:22 pm »
I do not know the details, but the whole situation sounds a bit fishy to me. As ar as i now, dog do not have individual owner, dog had been donated to NGO which do the therapy job, and the whole thing was supervised by the doctor to whom I had contacted.

So when the training process was completed, dog had been borrowed by the family with disabled child who need such therapy and the whole thing was superwised by the organisation. The last time dog was given to the family who already wanted to keep her forewer, but something has changed and now family wants dog out ASAP. As organisation had not planned new family for this dog, they have no where to place it.

But the whole idea of borrowing dog for 2 months sounds crazy to me, and living without her own house and her own family - even more mad. so maybe I do not know the real story. Let's see.

I talked with her breeder today and she is high class PB dog with wonderful pedigree, great health list and so on... So probably she will be ok, not an old grumpy lady but more soocial butterfly without personal attitude.

Melissa, I am not even accepted yet andI agree that if there will be found today a family with disabled child, then they have priority as trained therapy dog is a treasure here even at such age.

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 05:33:08 am »
Anna, what a wonderful opportunity for her to be well-loved!  How sad, though, that the current 'family' wants her out ASAP!  My Annie (saint) is also 7 y.o.  She has been with us since March.  I think the old ladies appreciate a nice, loving 'retirement home'.  Annie likes to be near me and is just happy being loved.  She came from a neglectful situation, abuse, really.  I think this gal will thrive in your loving home!
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 02:52:50 pm »
Do you know if you'll get her or not? I really hope you do. She deserves a home like yours.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 06:18:14 pm »
The only thing I can add is that she may need a serious brushing depending on how well she's been taken care of.  Kali mats like crazy even with being partially brushed almost everyday.  As far as bringing her in she'll do fine it may take her a little while to settle on but once she does beware of the bear rugs...Kali is always sprawled somewhere and we've learned to be careful walking at night as she's taken us out a few times ;). Good luck and post some pics if you get her.  Sounds like she could use a nice retirement.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 11:47:15 pm »
Situation is getting even more fishy - dog is in ER at present, on IV, vet had not proper diagnosis but seems like pyometra. I was on phone all day tacing the dog but I found the ER hospital where she was taken, and it is not even cear if she will make it...
It is disgusting, but people where she was living had not had cared about her as mch as notice that she is ill.

So my chances to get her is very slim now, ut a large group of people are working on her now... There are a lot of lies, and probably some finances involved. I do not want to tell the whole info as so many things are controversal, but she is not coming today. It is clear 100 %.

It is terrible story. She is 7 yo, hips are DD, and it is from completely wrong care, her sisters are still AA, so...

The people from where she was taken, kept her in the sed under the stairs on concrete floor... Not much hopes for poor girl as God kows how lng she had been fighting with this inflamation...

I feel sick about the whole situation!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 01:10:57 am »
Pyros are really bad but my 12 yr old greyhound pulled through hers and it was bad...some dogs don't really show clear symptoms until it gets really bad.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for her hopefully she's a fighter and will pull through.  I just hope she can get a good home eventually. Keep us updated.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties