Author Topic: Why no Tylenol???  (Read 8945 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Why no Tylenol???
« on: December 28, 2007, 05:17:20 am »
I didn't want to hyjack someone elses post so I started a new one.Why no Tylenol??? I'm using Acetaminphen Arthritis Pain Relief 650mg for Butt for his limping,if it's bad for him I'll stop now.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Why no Tylenol???
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:57:28 am »
I've only had a vet prescribe Tylenol once for a dog (and it was with codeine).  In that case it was for Halley who was terminally ill with bone cancer, and we were trying to balance quality vs. quantity of life for her.  :'(   So, I don't know that I'd feel comfortable giving Tylenol to a dog that wasn't terminally ill.  It's something that I'd really have to talk over with my vet before agreeing to do.  Here are two web sites that I found that may help explain the issues for both dogs & cats.  You can also do a Yahoo or Google search for more info.  I hope that this helps, Michelle.

www.petplace.c om/dogs/acetaminophen-toxicity-in-dogs/page1.aspx

www.michvet.co m/library/emergency_acetaminophen_toxicity.asp

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 07:02:10 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 03:29:36 pm »
Oh my God I'm such a bad Mom,I've been feeding Butt poison :'( Well he won't get any more of it,I'll have to find something else.Thanks Marie for the links!!!!!

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 02:11:01 am »
Thanks I got some buffered asprin today,but I want to give it a few days before I use it to make sure the Tylenol is all out of him first.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 06:18:46 pm »
Awww Michelle, I'm sure that he'll be fine, so don't feel badly!  We all do our best for our pups and we learn as we go.  My kids & pups teach me new stuff every day.   ;)  ;D  ::)  Butt's lucky to have a mom that loves him so much and is looking out for his comfort.  I've only been on BPO sporatically (at best) lately, so I probably missed something.  Do you know what his limp is all about?
Marie

And my pups:

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 07:27:23 am »
Thanks,I'm just glad he wasn't on it long before I found out it was bad for him.I have no idea why he limps and either does the yet.It's his right front leg,sometimes I feel so bad because he walks around like a real old man.My Mom who doesn't like dogs at all even comments that she feels for him the way he hobbles around. I honestly don't know if he is in any pain from it,because when he is chasing Tub through the house,you don't notice his limp.I thought it wouldn't hurt to try something to see if it did help his limping at all.I'll try the buffered asprin in a day or two to see if that helps.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 07:56:42 am »
Owww, poor Butt!  (Hee hee, that made me crack a big smile  :D)  Did your vet do x-rays?  I know that sometimes they are reluctant to do them unless the limp goes on for a little while, since many vets prefer to take x-rays while the dog is under full anesthesia (at least that was our experience once).  Anyway, if he's been limping for more than a few weeks, I think that I would probably ask for x-rays.  :-\  Maybe that's just b/c I'm a little paranoid now about limping, but if he's due for a dental cleaning maybe you could do both at the same time.  Just a thought...  ;)  :)
Marie

And my pups:

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 01:45:48 pm »
Marie-He has been limping a few months now and he had xrays right after he started.I also suffer from PMS(Paranoid Mom Syndrome) ;) To start with the Vet tried about a month on Rimadyl and that didn't seem to help so he did the xrays and they didn't show anything.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 06:21:50 pm »
Marie-He has been limping a few months now and he had xrays right after he started.I also suffer from PMS(Paranoid Mom Syndrome) ;) To start with the Vet tried about a month on Rimadyl and that didn't seem to help so he did the xrays and they didn't show anything.

Michelle, you cracked me up with the "Paranoid Mom Syndrome", too funny!  ;D  ;D 

Seriously, it must be so frustrating for you not know what's causing him to limp.  :-\  I'm sorry that you're both going through this.  I hope that the asprin helps.   :-*
Marie

And my pups: