Author Topic: Coat Problems  (Read 3686 times)

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
Coat Problems
« on: January 01, 2008, 05:28:42 am »
I have two Pry puppies. Peppy is a deaf dwarf.

The coat difference in the Peppy and Precious is amazing. Peppy's coat is very rough and everything clings to it. I have to brush him twice a day. He likes to snuggle under the bushes and all the leaves and dirt cling to him.

Precious always looks great and I hardly ever brush her.

Precious can be caked with mud and an hour later look great with no brushing.

I give my horses flaxseed in their food for shinny coats.Is there anything I do for Peppy?

Thanks,

Happy New Year  :D
Robin

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Coat Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 06:52:20 am »
Happy New Year to you, too!  ;D

Hmmm, I haven't (yet) had a dwarf pyr so I don't know if the coat difference is characteristic of the dwarfism or not.  My experience with our pyr pups has been that their puppy coats are very much like the soft side of Velcro and everything sticks to them until their adult coat comes in.  The puppy coat is much more like the undercoat on an adult pyr, but the outer coat on an adult is much smoother & slicker (so more repellant) and that sounds like what you are describing Precious' coat as being.  It may be that Peppy is just a little slower than Precious in getting his adult coat.  How old are the babies now?  It's been 5 yrs now since we've had a puppy, but if I recall correctly the puppy coat is replaced with adult coat between 4 to 6 months or so.  We have a bunch of BPO-er's with Pyr puppies this year, so they may have a more precise age for you.  I'd love to see new pics of your puppies too when you have a chance.   ;D  :-*
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 07:02:48 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 11:42:59 am »
Do you wash them at all?  I finally learned not to wash Jake very often.  I usually give Max a bath every couple of weeks for his skin and was bathing Jake once a month or so.  The more I bathed him, the dirtier he got.  I finally figured out, if I just brush him good when he is dry, he looks great and most everything comes out of his coat.  I can also take a damp cloth and just rub over his coat to get anything else out of it without using soap or getting his undercoat wet.  It may just be that they are going to have very different coat textures.  I have seen a lot of Pyrs in rescue that for whatever reason had totally different types of fur and far as how it felt and looked.  Good luck with him.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 12:42:06 pm »
YES! We use flax and salmon oil, along with just plain old vitamin E gelcaps. (We don't use all of these at once, just alternate) A great product that has all of these and many more oils in it is Dream Coat.

The thing you want to be careful of with these products is over-administering. They are all um, laxatives. So, start off with just a little teensy bit or you might have bootie blow-out!!!!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 02:45:06 pm »
There is also a waterless shampoo out there called Miracle Coat I think, and it works GREAT!  :D  We used it over the holidays on Moos wirey terrier coat, and brushed him all out, and he came out of it soft and snuggly, and smelling great!  It was at my aunts though so when I find out where she got it from i'll let you know.  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 02:55:10 pm »
There is also a waterless shampoo out there called Miracle Coat I think, and it works GREAT!  :D 
If it is what I use it's called "Miracle Groom" and it does work great. The first bottle I bought lasted a year! I just bought another one. Also, Plush puppy makes awesome waterless shampoo but it is more expensive and fancier...it makes the coat shine  :D
I remember washing Lily quite often when she was a pup. Now I wash her every 2 months  ;) I do use salmon oil with vitamin E. It makes her coat super healthy, shiny and soft ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 03:04:19 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 12:20:16 am »
We give Rosie fish oil capsules or in a liquid form for a shiny coat. I'm not sure if that will address Peppy's rough coat. I think it's worth trying since fish oil isn't that expensive anyway and omega 3s are always a good nutritional additive.
Rosie - Newfoundland