Author Topic: Newbie here! New Pics.  (Read 9947 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie here! New Pics.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 02:51:13 pm »

Another question! Long ago a doggie person told me about how to check a dogs hips...you do this on puppies more than older dogs. She said to lay them on thier back and gently press down on thier hind legs. if they can open them to the floor, hips are good. If there is a resistance and you can't take the knee part all the way to the floor, thier hips will go bad. Anyone agree with this? Little Bits legs will not go to the floor so I am assuming her hips will go bad eventually.

I have never heard of this test before. Just to assure my dogs good joints I started her on joint support as of 4 months of age. We will see the X-rays in July  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Little Bit

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 03:49:25 pm »
My older dog is on a joint suppliment now. so, I can give that to the pup at about 4 mos? I can do that!
Little Bit-GP pup
Little Girl- Lab Mix
Mitzee- Heeler/ Boarder Collie
and way too many cats!

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 09:09:40 pm »
Hi and welcome. I just joined this site a week ago and there is tons of great info! Your little pyr is sooo cute! congrats! They are in my opinion the best breed to own.
I have an almost two year old pyr. When he was a pup he had a mask on his face similar to yours. He has lost quite a bit of the coloring as he gets older. We fed Marley puppy food until he was about 8 months and then transitioned over a month period to adult food. Make sure whatever brand you choose that you go with a large breed formula. We have always fed Marley Nutro. We find the quality of the food and the treats are excellent. The less fillers and crap in the food obviously the better it is for the dog. You notice right away with good quality food versus "fast food" for dogs like Purina that their absorbtion of nutrients is far greater - meaning smaller poo's....great for them ...and their owners  ;)

Can't wait to see more pics!

Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 09:22:59 pm »
Welcome! LB is too cute. I love her face. She sounds like she is already a ton of fun and I am sure that you will fall in love with the Pyrenees breed. I sure did. I adopted Jenny from a rescue group this past October and I am finding how wonderful Pyrs are each and every day. There is so much information on this site.

I feed Jenny the Innova giant breed formula and she does great on it. You will definitely have a big dog very soon, enjoy her little fluffy self, because she will certainly be a big fluffy dog before you know it!  ;)
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Little Bit

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 08:46:55 pm »
I'm glad you all like my Little Bit! and thank you for the welcome!

I have decided to go ahead and put her on the adult food my other dogs are eating. I had an Aussie who did poorly on a wheat base dog food, he got trrible hot spots. Will a corn base dog food be as bad for LB? I know the hot weather will affect her also? I did put the Aussie on Nutro and the hot spots cleared up. Guess I will have to take a trip the the feed store in the next town and see what they have.

Ok, you asked, more pics! This was yesterday. it was such a nice sunny day and she was having fun in the snow.

Playing with big sister

Ah Ha! I got the ball!

What was that sound?

You taking my picture?

Comin at ya!

That's it for now...enjoy!
Little Bit-GP pup
Little Girl- Lab Mix
Mitzee- Heeler/ Boarder Collie
and way too many cats!

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 09:11:49 pm »
You really should find a dog food with no corn in it at all, its just a filler and the dogs can't digest it.  Good luck.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com