Author Topic: Dog Chasing Horses  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Little Bit

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Dog Chasing Horses
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:21:36 pm »
Hi, I am new here and joined because I have a new GP pup. But i also have a Heeler/Border collie mix and need some advice.

I owned a Heeler when I was a teenager, she was my first "my" dog and she was a great dog. I took her to obedience classes and she was top of her class! Never really did anything wrong. But sh was raised in house in surburbia.

I was given a Heelr/Collie cross last year. Sheis now 1 year old. She is so very different from the Heeler I had as a ki. Now I am much older, much busier and a bitlazy! I live on 10 acres in the middle of noweher. I admit that I didn't do the basic obidience training with her. Being a herding dog on both sides her instinct is way out there. She will chase anything. Her favorite toy is an old horse bal that she will chase all day long.

My problem is she chases the horses. She is not as bad as she was a few monts ago but the horses hate her and given the oppertunity she will chase them. She knows I do not like this behavior.

Altho it is late in the game and I was really bad not doing this earlier, I need some input. She hates leashes and this will have to be our first lesson.after that, what do you all suggest I do when teaching her about the horses? What steps would you take?
Little Bit-GP pup
Little Girl- Lab Mix
Mitzee- Heeler/ Boarder Collie
and way too many cats!

Offline Little Bit

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Chasing Horses
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 11:46:19 pm »
I did't think about a harness. I do have one I think will fit her. She learned "out" real quick when I wanted her out of the pature, so she's not dumb. I think because she has two healing breeds in her she just can't help herself! Got go after something! Once she took over the horse ball, she ot better about the horses, but now drives me nuts as I can't go outside without kicking the ball all the time for her to chase it. I do spend time everyday when I feed throwing the ball for her so she gets some of my time.
Little Bit-GP pup
Little Girl- Lab Mix
Mitzee- Heeler/ Boarder Collie
and way too many cats!