Author Topic: Kate's Overweight!!!  (Read 9274 times)

k2campbell

Kate's Overweight!!!
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:51:19 am »
I can't believe it...Kate had her yearly check-up today and she's 8 lbs overweight!!!  ::)

Both Eric and I were SHOCKED when our vet told us...but apparently Kate has a bit too much fat on her ribs... :-\ I kinda thought she was feeling a teeny bit chubbier around there but not 8 lbs worth! :o ::) I guess with the size of these dogs though, it's all relative  ;)

Kate's been on Canidea since a pup, we've never had a problem with it so don't think that needs to be changed. She also gets a walk everyday...no matter WHAT the weather is like out here...yup, we even go when it's -20 C...we bundle up...and so does Kate! :D

We think it's the bones. Kate gets a raw, frozen bison bone daily. They give her some "Kate time" in the yard and of course help clean her teeth (which by the way our vet said look absolutely perfect)! ;D ;D ;D Kate used to get a bone every other day...but when Blake came along we were a little busier than usual ;) and although we of course made time for our girl, she had to share with Blake  :) So, we started giving her a bone daily, to tell her she was a good girl and to keep her happy and busy while we got into our routine with Blake  ;) Well, after a while we started to miss her (she can be outside for hours to finish them) so we started buying frozen, raw bison tendons too...they take about 25 mins to finish and she likes them almost as much as the bones ;) Now we rotate bones/tendons every other day, but our plan after today is to give Kate bones on the weekend only, and tendons all week  ;)

We'll see how that goes, I just can't believe she is overweight!!! :o :o :o

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Kate's Overweight!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »
We have been there and have done that before...to ourself, LOL!!! Not a big problem  ;)
I highly doubt that she gained weight from frozen bones. Dogs that are fed raw usually very hard to put weight on. Do you feed her any other treats?
I would say cut her kibble back a little and don't give her any other treats (if she was getting any) but frozen bones and see what happens after a month or so.  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 02:28:05 pm »
I agree with Tina.  See if you can cut back on her kibble and keep the treats.  And I like your idea of alternating the treats.  Bear put on 7 pounds after starting pheno in September.  I've cut back on his kibble a bit and hope we can at the very least maintain.  Good luck!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

k2campbell

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:16:12 pm »
Thanks everyone...you know Kate's vet never even brought up cutting back her kibble a bit...just the treats...and I think your suggestions for cutting the kibble back a bit would prove to be more successful for Kate, as she LOVES those bones & tendons!!! :D :D :D ;)

The only thing is that Kate only eats 2 full cups of Canidea a day, she's never really been a big-eater in the kibble department (thus the reason we started the raw bones in the first place way back) :-\ But we'll give it a shot for sure, thanks everyone for your input! ;D

Oh, and a few of you asked if Kate got any other treats...yes, she does. She gets dried liver treats, they are the size of a quarter and she maybe gets 2 or 3 a day max. We usually give her those when we need to step out for a bit  ;) Kate also gets some meat & veggies once and a while, if we're making some for dinner she gets a small amount too  ;) BUT it's mostly the veggies she gets, if we're making chicken/beef/salmon Kate will get a little taste, but that's it  :)

The only other possible solution I can think of is to train Kate to use the elliptical Eric and I are buying for ourselves, think she could do it? :D :D :D

Offline fancyface

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 07:20:46 pm »
 ??? Hello, I'm new here, and well, I have a labernese  who was and still is overweight. ::)He weighed in, in august at 126 pounds :'(, he was 26 pounds overweight, the vet put him on a serious diet and when I went back with him to have him checked out in november, he had 10 pounds lost. WOW  :o I was so happy, he still has another 10-15 pounds to go, but i'm sure by the spring comes , we will have reached our goal..Anyways as soon as I figure out how to put a picture of him here I will...

k2campbell

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 08:15:43 pm »
"The only other possible solution I can think of is to train Kate to use the elliptical Eric and I are buying for ourselves, think she could do it?"   
If you figure it out, I want to see pictures, preferribly a video. LOL. Maybe Kate can teach ME to use it. I always manage to fall off the darned things!
Stella

LOL Stella  :D ;)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 12:39:21 am »
Poor Kate. Don't worry, Sweet Kate, I'm overweight, too.  Welcome to the club.   :-*
Julie, you are sooooo silly  :D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 02:42:22 am »
Oh man, wait till she figures out what comes flying off the highchair tray! You'll wish she only had 8 pounds to loose! Tani's favorite spot is next to the highchair, and when I remove the tray, she's all over Jackson's lap to help me "clean" him off. So thoughtful, my puppy!! Kate will be beautiful either way, though...altho ugh for the sake of good health, lets hope she can reign it in...
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

k2campbell

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 01:19:08 am »
Poor Kate. Don't worry, Sweet Kate, I'm overweight, too.  Welcome to the club.   :-*

OH STOP IT Julie!!! >:( ::) :D ;D :) ;) You silly Ninny! :P You are NOT overweight my dear...just come on over to my place and take a look at my marshmallow belly... :D ;) :-*

k2campbell

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 01:28:52 am »
Oh man, wait till she figures out what comes flying off the highchair tray! You'll wish she only had 8 pounds to loose! Tani's favorite spot is next to the highchair, and when I remove the tray, she's all over Jackson's lap to help me "clean" him off. So thoughtful, my puppy!! Kate will be beautiful either way, though...altho ugh for the sake of good health, lets hope she can reign it in...

Gosh Ali...I know already! :D Blake has started eating solids (still breastfeeding too) but Kate just STARES when I feed him! :D But, she's since been taught to sit farther back from the highchair and she's listened really well...so far! ;) I'm sure once food starts being chucked across the room though it will be a different story!!! :D :D :D