Author Topic: dry hair and skin  (Read 5363 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
dry hair and skin
« on: February 13, 2008, 05:26:33 am »
Poor Jenny, her skin and hair seem so dry to me and I'm sure the dry Michigan winter air is not helping. I have recently started adding salmon oil to her food daily, but I know that it takes a while for it to take effect. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to help with this?
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: dry hair and skin
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:32:04 am »
Poor Jenny, her skin and hair seem so dry to me and I'm sure the dry Michigan winter air is not helping. I have recently started adding salmon oil to her food daily, but I know that it takes a while for it to take effect. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to help with this?

Have you tried using a conditioner on her?

I usually don't use conditioner because it makes Lily's hair super soft and her coat looses its shape. Her coat is normally very soft and healthy without it.
I think that should work while you are waiting for Salmon Oil to go into effect  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 05:41:32 am »
we had a cocker spaniel fox terrier mix with really bad dry skin and the vet told us to spray him with SKIN SO SOFT by AVON. he said it's gentle enough so that if he licks it, its okay. and when his skin got better (and his coat) we could stop it or use it as often as needed. the vet told us if it's his coat (which it was not) to spray on the coat but since it was the skin then to get under the coat and saturate the skin. and then rub it in. +everyone loves a rub down :)
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 05:43:15 am »

I usually don't use conditioner because it makes Lily's hair super soft and her coat looses its shape. Her coat is normally very soft and healthy without it.
I think that should work while you are waiting for Salmon Oil to go into effect  ;)

I don't bathe her much, I thought that regular bathing is not good for Pyrs? She got a bath when I brought her home and not since. Her coat always seem pretty clean and any dirt just brushes right off. Maybe a good bath with conditioner will help.
Jennifer

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 05:46:28 am »

I don't bathe her much, I thought that regular bathing is not good for Pyrs? She got a bath when I brought her home and not since. Her coat always seem pretty clean and any dirt just brushes right off. Maybe a good bath with conditioner will help.
You are right, Pyrs don't really need too many baths BUT if her coat and skin are dry it would definitely help it.

I wash Lily every 2-3 months. Usually after bad weather days at the dog park when brushing along just won't do it  :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 06:33:21 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 06:32:21 am »
Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts!
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven