Author Topic: Okay, my turn to vent  (Read 17391 times)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, my turn to vent
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 02:42:23 pm »
I had the same problem when I lived with my mom and had Navarre.  I actually found a metal pipe in my yard one day, someone had thrown it!  My moms backyard had an alley behind it and the elementary school kids would walk down the alley (granted at this point it was blocked off at one end so they weren't suppose to be using it).  The kids were also doing other damage as they walked to and from.  They would stand at the fence and hit it with sticks and throw rocks in the yard if they couldn't see Navarre, actually TRYING to get him to come out!!  So my uncle calls the police and gets told that it's a public alley and there are no laws against walking down the alley.  He says, "how many laws are you going to throw at my neice when her german shepherd gets sick of being taunted and jumps the fence?  I did mention that he's a 130lb GSD and it's a four foot fence."  There was a patrol out there the next morning and every so often for the next couple of weeks.

I'm glad your dogs don't seem to be worse for wear.  To bad the mom didn't use this as a much needed lesson for her child.  Bets on the fact that he'll probably be in juvie in a few years?????

Troll.....awes ome!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, my turn to vent UPDATED
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 05:45:15 pm »
And the saga continues.  I went over today and had a long talk with the mom and dad both.  Last night my daughter came over and we both took the dogs out for a walk.  She had Max and Jake and I had Cody.  Luckily, I put the prong collar on Jake and a slip chain on Max, to make them easier to control together.  They both walk much faster than Cody and like to run, when we get to the ballfield, where there is grass.  When I opened our overhead garage door to go out, the neighbor's pomeranian, yes, same neighbor, is in our driveway and comes running up barking and growling at us and the dogs.  Needless to say, all 3 dogs hit the end of their leashes, barking, growling, lunging, trying to get to the dog.  I am sure in their minds, we were being threatened in our own garage.  We held them back and I started yelling for the neighbors to come get him.  He would not back off and came inside the garage.  I managed to pick Cody's front feet up off of the ground, so I could pull him back and grab a broom.  By shaking it at the pom and slowly walking towards him, still holding Cody up, I got him out of the garage.  Finally, one of the neighbors heard me and called him.  He left, after peeing on the jeep tire and the bushes at the end of the driveway.  Needless to say all three of my dogs had to anoint the tire and bushes repeatedly to reassert their ownership of their property.  I put Cody back in the house and went over to their house.  They would not come to the door.  So, today I went over when I saw them outside.  I calmly explained that I could not allow this to continue and I did not understand why they did not understand the danger of letting their little Pom run around loose.  They have a fenced backyard, where he could run around and do his business.  Why won't they either put him out there or walk him on a leash in front?  They replied that they have not mowed the back yard in a while and he doesn't like the tall grass.  I offered to mow it for them every few weeks, if they will put him out there.  The father asked why my dogs would go after his if they are not dog aggressive.  I explained that my dogs are territorial and protective.  They see another animal in their yard and house as a threat, especially when it is growling and barking at me and them.  My dogs will be registered in the county, as dangerous dogs, if they hurt or kill this dog, even though it comes in our garage, if the door is open and on our property.  I explained that I reported their dog a few months ago for chasing and nipping my 2.5 year old grandson, when he was in my driveway.  I also explained that they are forcing me to report them again for still letting their dog run loose.  I am not trying to hurt them or their dog, but I cannot allow mine to be hurt through their actions.  I think they finaly understood and said they would not let him out loose anymore.  The father apologized for the incident with his son and said they are not letting him play in the back yard alone anymore.  We will see how this works.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Kathy   
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 08:30:50 pm »
I think you are doing a great job, Kathy.  There's only so much we can 'teach' other adults, but you are continuing to be an advocate for your dogs and that's admirable.  Large breeds are often misunderstood, especially when they are protecting their own property/families - which is all instinct for most of them!
Good luck with your neighbors!  Keep us posted  ;).
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 08:42:52 pm »
You know what, I think you are awesome.  You stand up for yourself, and for your dogs.  I just got into a big argument with my father about this, he is very I hate to say it, but ignorent when it comes to animals.  But I guess what I mean to say is there are alot of people out there who will tell us that our dogs are too big, or that they are vicious when they are only trying to defend their families and their homes.  And we all need to remember that it is not their fault they are ignorent they just need to be educated.  Some are easy to educate, some are not, just as long as we all do our part for the benefit of everyone around us, including and especially our babies.  :)

My Sponsership page for my very first race!

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 09:17:05 pm »
Omigosh!  I can't believe that I've missed this thread.  Holy sh*t...I think that I would have gone besirk!!!!! I think that you're doing a great job, Kathy, communicating your concerns with your neighbors.  Because you never know what will happen in the future, I think it might be good to document these incidents.  Good luck with that little twirp!

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 10:16:53 pm »
Kathy, you are a model furr advocate for all of us!  Why do people who own little 'aggressive' furr balls feel that it is OK for their creature to roam free and harass?  Primal bullying, really.  I'm not sure I would have risked my or my babies safety (a pom can deliver a nasty infectious bite) and not let the leash slip!  ;}  I'll never forget when my husband was walking his malamute on leash and an unleashed collie came up to hotdog.  My hubby pulled the leash back (my hubby used to be a 240lb football player n 'had' :) tremendous strength) to prevent hotdog from killing this collie and hotdog primally charged, bit my husband on the knee.  At that very second, hotdog n hubby made eye contact and hotdog had the "OH @$#@" look and released.  the collie owner ran over and collected what could have been the carcass of a collie and my husband explained that leash laws are there for others safety too and next time, protective instinct might take over at being assaulted by a very aggressive animal and that leash might just 'slip'. 
I just can't understand why people think its ok to let those smaller guys roam free an bully the bigger ones and then take offense when there little one gets eaten!
another funny story (i know, I do have a point)-onion, our deceased springer, attacked our neighbor's chihuahua who had dug her way into our yard and I not been in the kitchen and saw it, who knows what would have happened.  all boils down to the people and their mindset and beliefs.....sa d.   
karma is kewl!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 10:18:14 pm »
You've got a huge set of ...um ovaries on you Kathy. I wish my neighbors were as responsive as yours. I've had 2 run ins with them now.

First, he came over to our house and said if we didn't keep them from barking he would "take care of the problem himself". Now, mind you, they were usually barking at his little JRT running back and forth along his side of the fence barking at my dogs.

Last weekend I had to go over to his house because the little cat he feeds was pooping in my yard and jumped at my window when it noticed Misty Blue (my cat) was looking at it from inside the house where cats should be. It jumped against the screen so hard it bent my screen.

I went over to his house and told him I didn't appreciate his cat pooping (although I didn't use that nice of a word) in my yard and before I could even get to tell him about it jumping and bending my screen, he came at me yelling and cursing and threatening that if I ever came on his property again he would "stomp me."

So, I called the police and told them I just wanted it on file that he threatened me with physical violence and he has threatened the safety of my dogs before so that if anything happens they will know who to question first.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 10:34:11 pm »
Oh, Scooter.  That is horrible.  I think I would take to having a gun close by if any of my neighbors were like that.  Luckily they have all seen my hubby, 6'2", 270, big guy and as my neighbor said, he carries a gun.  He also has a bunch of biker friends that show up at our house when they are going riding together.  They are usually really nice to me.  It seems like we all have our horror stories to tell of run ins with kids and other peoples dogs.  Thank you all for your kind comments and support.  It is nice to know that others care, but, it is a shame that we all have to deal with this sort of thing, just because we love our big paws.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 10:55:32 pm »
that's why I hold 2 black belts in 2 martial arts.......rea soning doesn't work and kindness is futile? "u want to stomp me?  Lets go grumpy grandpa gus!"  lol.
karma is kewl!

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 01:45:42 am »
Holly, fantastic advice!  ;)  You are so right about parent interjection on the level helping this kid LEARN how to treat animals and maybe it will rub off on him.  I just dont understand mean people........ .but mean dogs are created by mean people and helping avert a potentially mean person from being a meanie to animals, then something good has come out of an ugly situation.  Rock on....;)
karma is kewl!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 08:47:30 pm »
That's why we love Holly!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 08:55:28 pm »
Thank you so much, Holly.  I guess I tend to get hot headed and not think things through.  The house is a rental, but I don't know when or if they will be moving anytime soon.  Thanks for the advice and I will use it.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 02:57:21 pm »
Kathy, we all get hot headed at times...i think.  U are an awesome modeling pet owner and level-headed parent advice giver just from reading your posts.  We obviously learn from you on both levels!  :-)  Heck, being a red head set me up for failure a long time ago and its taken me 38 yrs just to begi and see that hotheaded isnt the norm.  my kids sure thank me....even odin!  Keep on truckin like u do!  BTW....how long have u had your irish wolf hound?  my hubby n i wanted/want an irish wolf hound but were able to save 1 mastiff instead.  Are their temperments similar?Any thoughts on IWH ownership would b fantastic!  tx-nik
karma is kewl!