Author Topic: 4 Month old Bernese vomiting 4 days now :(  (Read 10109 times)

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
4 Month old Bernese vomiting 4 days now :(
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:17:39 pm »
My very happy and energetic Bernese puppy has been throwing up once a day for the past 4 days.  He has been eating his feces and we started giving him pills (recommend by our Vet), called Potty Mouth.  It has been about 2 weeks now with the pills and he still eats his feces.  I am thinking that his vomiting has something to do with these pills (we are stopping with the pills today to see as well).  He is pretty mellow right after vomiting, but a short time later he is his regular old self.  Has anyone else had a puppy/dog with the same issue?  My puppy, Cooper, is going to the vet on the 24th, can he wait, or should I take him ASAP???  Any info would be appreciated! 
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Month old Bernese vomiting 4 days now :(
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:33:02 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BPO. 
I would wait and see how he is after a day of not having pills to see if he stops vomiting.  How is his water intake, is he still drinking lots and peeing normal?  If his energy levels are the same then I wouldn't be too worried about it, but if his energy level drops any then I would get him into a vet asap. 
But there are alot of people on here alot more knowlegable then me, they'll probably be able to help you out a little more.  ;)

By the way, I'm Alex, and my 2 pups are listed below.  :)  I can't wait to see some pics of your little Cooper!   :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 03:35:40 pm »
Has he been having regular normal stool? If not go to the vet asap.

As far as eating fecal matter, what I found to work best, is cheapest, and the best for the dog is to pick it up so they can not eat it ;D.

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 03:51:35 pm »
Thank you both for quick replies!  His stools are still normal, and his water and food intake is the same as well.  I have attempted picking up all his feces outside, however, we have tons of snow and he seems to be able to find hidden stools in it!  I am probably just worrying over something very simple, but he is my first dog and I am a bit over protective and get worried over anything he does that is abnormal. 
Kaitlen

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 04:40:54 pm »
there is also a product called deter which works very well.  He might also be throwing up because potty mouth causes a reaction with the poop in his stomach and that is why he is throwing up it is a negative reinforcement. . Deter, makes the poop taste really gross (not like it is great) and it makes them not want to eat it do to the smell and taste. I have never had anyone throw up on it.

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 07:19:41 pm »
Around this age poop is novel to a puppy.  You can try feeding a spoonful or two of pineapple with his meals.  It's supposed to make it less palatable.

My 6 month old still munches on my older dog's stools or carries them around.  The old man doesn't like pineapple so I haven't tested out the pineapple theory.

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 09:05:17 pm »
Never heard of the pineapple theory...only beef tenderizer, tabasco, etc.  Hmmm, might be something new to try. 
Kaitlen

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 10:51:57 pm »
Cirra had this issue for quite some time, especially with warm stool in snow???  She still occasionally does it if we have given treats with carbs and sweeteners.  Digestive enzymes seemed to make the difference for her.  We started those when we began a raw diet for her knee injury, and stoppage of stool eating was a wonderful bonus!!!  denise
by chance is this little cooper in BH?  can't wait to meet him!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 11:03:57 pm »
Cooper is adorable.  My dogs have all stopped the poop eating on their own.  They will still go after kittie poo, but not their own.  If everything else is normal, I wouldn't worry about it.  Pick up what you can and try to ignore the rest.  Let us know how he does after you stop the pills.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 10:27:52 am »
So far, so good this morning, I left the happy little guy in his room (yes, no crate, we give him his own room...this might be part of the problem, but I just couldn't crate him).  He was sitting on his bed, playing with his toys watching animal planet...oh, the life! 

Seaherons: Yes (well technically Trenton now)  Cooper comes and plays with Adie in BH all the time (he is now bigger than her too!)  Hopefully Cooper can meet Cirra sometime soon. :) 
Kaitlen

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 10:44:07 am »
Hi!  Ugh!  Winston did the same thing!  Actually, he is still a fan of his own flavor!   For Winston, it seems that he will only do this in the winter, when they are his own little poopsicles.  So gross!  Last year, I did try the Tobasco, and I think it worked.  Although, it did also coincide with spring....so, I'm not sure which one it was.  Anyway, I looked like a total wierdo-I picked up the back yard, leaving just a few of his stools.....the n I just sprinkled a couple of drops of hot sauce on them.  It seemed to do the trick!  My trainer also told me about the pineapple, but I don't think I kept up with that enough to see a difference.  Good luck with the little squirt!

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 11:11:22 am »
Ok...unfortuna tely, we are going on day 6 of vomiting.  He did great all day yesterday until the evening.  It was then followed by 4am, and most recently just in the car 30 minutes ago.  I'm planning on calling the vet as soon as they open this morning.  He is still drinking and eating regularly with no issues and gives no warnings before he vomits (which is weird, because he is typically a whiner).  I am hoping the vet tells me it is fine and that he can wait until his scheduled appointment on the 24th, but I am really starting to get worried.  :(
Kaitlen

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 11:46:25 am »
Just got off the phone with the vet...they told me to switch him over immediately to a chicken and rice diet and if he is still vomiting tomorrow that he should come into the vet to be checked out.  :(  I'm hoping this chicken/rice diet works, I feel so bad for my little guy right now.
Kaitlen

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 01:56:55 pm »
Poor baby, I'm sorry he's going through this, and I'm sorry for you for the worry that I know it's causing.  Hopefully the Chicken and Rice will calm his tummy down a bit and the vet can take a look at him as soon as possible.  I'll be keeping you and your boy in my thoughts.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 02:03:55 pm »
Thank you so much!  Once we finally find out why his tummy is so sick, I'll post it. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 02:25:21 pm by Mainebernese »
Kaitlen