Author Topic: Kodiak is falling apart!  (Read 3525 times)

Offline cwarner

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Kodiak is falling apart!
« on: January 15, 2008, 04:33:52 pm »
last week i had Kodiak at the vet for this mystery rash on his chest.  The vet thought it might possibly be ringworm ... not sure i agree with that but she wanted to see him back in a week (which is today).  well monday night i notice he has something on the left side of his snout.  I grab his face and it looks like a big scab, hadn't noticed anything before, but i though, ok he's going to the vet wednesday, i'll just have her look at that as well,  well the next day i get home from work and he's got the scab partly off and now it's an open sore.  The only thing i can think of is when he's trying to break out of his kennel, he's sticking his nose through to pry the door open and he's rubbed it raw.  Well last night i call him in from the kitchen and he's LIMPING!!!  he limps into the living room and stands there holding his left front paw off the ground and doesnt really want to put weight on it.  i'm just thinking what the heck is going on!!! i had him outside playing yesterday afternoon and he was fine, i dont know at all what would've hurt his paw/leg. I checked to make sure he didnt have anything stuck in his paw, didnt find anything, and i could move all his joints without him protesting, but if i reach for his paw, he pulls it away.  WELL, looks like i'll be getting my money's worth out of this vet visit!!!   Thanks for listening, just had to vent a bit,  sometimes it feels like you're fighting a loosing battle

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Kodiak is falling apart!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 04:38:18 pm »
Aww.  :'(  Poor baby Kodiak.  I hope that that it's nothing serious, I wonder what could be wrong with him?  Give him a big hug and let us know how it goes at the Vet tomorrow.  Sending healthy vibes to you and Kodiak.  :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:39:04 pm »
Sorry for your extended injury report...
Just make sure you jot this all down before you get to the vet!  I almost ALWAYS forget something when I am in the exam room and end up having to call them back once my frazzled mind remembers when I get home!! 
Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline cwarner

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 06:14:12 pm »
well back from the vet.  The rash she still thinks is ringworm, it looks somewhat better, alot of the redness has gone away, but it is still raised a bit, She said the scab on his nose should heal on it's own, (i left him out of his kennel this morning while at work, and the scab was not torn off again)  so that just makes me think that his escape attempts are the cause of the scab, and she thinks the limp is probably a strained muscle, so she gave him some anti-inflammatory's to take for 5 days, and if he is still limping they will do x-ray's on it.  She said that she wasnt' too concerned about x-rays today because once she got his paw in her hand he wasnt crying or trying to rip it out of her hand so we're just going to go the conservative route and see what happens!!  So all in all, good visit, nothing serious!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 11:12:22 pm »
Did she do a skin scraping on the rash, just to verify that is nothing other than ringworm?  Just curious.  Good to know nothing major is going on with your baby.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 11:26:19 pm »
Good to hear Kodiak is on the mend, and it wasn't anything to serious!! ;D
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline cwarner

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 12:32:33 am »
She shaved the area around the rash, and said that they had pulled a few of the hairs out first to test the follicules sp?  and also did something with pushing a slide onto it to get some skin cells to check out under the microscope ... not sure if thats what you meant about a skin scraping.