Author Topic: trying to pee but not happening  (Read 9473 times)

Offline faye

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
trying to pee but not happening
« on: January 13, 2008, 10:37:48 pm »
2 pyr pups pee normally but then keep squatting and only a few drops or nothing.  pee work was done and came back normal.  do pyrs do this?

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: trying to pee but not happening
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:41:29 pm »
How old are they?  If they already peed, apparently nothing is wrong to prevent them from peeing, but I would think the squatting indicates that they feel like they need to go again, meaning an infection or inflammation of some kind.  What does your vet say?
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline faye

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 12:31:26 pm »
they are 9 wks old. urine came back clear though.  strange!

Offline KKsmiles

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 12:41:18 pm »
   Koda was doing the same thing at 12 weeks(Now I had called the vet about this and he kept telling me that she is too young for a UTI, not to worry.Probably puppy vaginitis. And it was, she had the long string of slime.), by the next week she was asking to go out every 20 minutes.  By the end of the 2nd day of that it got really worse were she couldnt make it to the door and would dribble, that was the longest night ever. In the AM I took het to the vet, he did urine test and fecal (since she has had the constant runs since I got her). Both turned out fine, I was shocked. I told him something is wrong, she was doing great with house breaking and this constant squating and straining to get urine out was not normal for her. Ended up she has an inverted vulva and was licking it quite a bit. I didn't think she was paying that much attention to that area, she must be modest and did it in private..lol. He noticed it was red and irritated, thought there might be an infection. Put her on amoxicilan (sorry spelling)and it cleared up.
   Also to reafirm an earlier post, I was giving "the best treats ever" every time she went potty outside. It worked so good she would try to fake me out and want to go potty all the time. Littl S###, chuckles, so I then only gave her a treat for thr 1st pee and 1st poop. Plus she had to do it withing 5 minutes or no treat at all. I ignored her the rest of the time, not even a glance. A great friend told me that and it worked like a charm. You should have seen Koda's look at me as she did her fake pee... it was like she was peeking to see if I was convinced. It was soo funny.
Koda - Newf/Lab
Gizmo - Orange TabbyCat

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 01:48:40 pm »
I would definitely get it tested again. My collie mix had a bladder infection once and I could tell he was very uncomfortable, but my vet said she could barely tell by the test and said he must be super sensitive. Maybe the right bacteria or whatever didn't show up the first time. (can you tell I'm not medically inclined?)
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline faye

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:22:12 am »
Brandy is on amoxicillin and seems better. today I started giving them both 2 drops of cranberry juice to see if it helps.  if not will try and retest next week.  not doing it for treats though cause they are outside alone and I see them from the window. just strange that they would both be doing it. they drink a lot of water and do pee normally and stools are good.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 02:00:31 am »
It sounds like you've gotten great advice already so I just wanted to say welcome!  We'd love to see pics of your little pups when you have a chance.  Congratulation s on your new babies!   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline KKsmiles

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 12:40:49 pm »
Do your pups have inverted vulva's? Had to take Koda in again 2 days after she was done with her amoxicillin. Another vaginal infection, stronger meds this time. Looks like she will be dealing with this until she gets it fixed durring her spay. I am just asking because you might have to deal with the same thing.
Koda - Newf/Lab
Gizmo - Orange TabbyCat