Author Topic: Antidepressants!!??  (Read 3735 times)

Offline luvmyboys

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Antidepressants!!??
« on: January 16, 2008, 05:54:17 am »
  We recently took our boys for a check-up, and the vet suggested antidepressant s for T.J.  He is our Gaint Malamute, Husky mix.  He licks his forelegs and has caused a few raw spots on each.  I have tried a few different things, bitter spray, vet wrap, more activity, nothing is working. I would like to find an alternative to medication, but T.J. finds a way to sabotage every clever idea I get. Any Ideas :-\

marypyrs

Re: Antidepressants!!??
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 06:39:57 am »
Hey! Welcome! :D  :D

First and very quick question for you here. What foods are your boys on?

I agree with you and would not give meds (especially antidepressant s) until all other paths have been ruled out. My first thought would be some kind of allergy. Please give more detail.

Again - welcome! Everyone will be looking forward to pictures of your babes.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:08:36 am »
The vet obviously feels this is compulsive behavior and the medication Clomicalm is developed specifically for this. It is not an anti-dressant per se but is specifically for obsessive compulsive behavior and there has been a lot of success with this drug. If nothing has worked I wouldn't hesitate to put him on this medication for a few months to help break this behavior as it actually can lead to self injury.  It is going to be easier to break this behavior if treated early than if it is allowed to go on for a prolonged period of time.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 11:24:44 am »
but it you put something like bag balm on it, and cover the whole leg with a sock or a shirt sleeve and tape it on, they will not chew it (at least my kids leave it alone). If you end up giving a medicine, please give Milk thisle to help prevent any potental kidney and liver issues that could occur from the drugs!!!