Author Topic: Evening #2 indoors...yikes  (Read 3484 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
Evening #2 indoors...yikes
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:06:29 pm »
Just thought after the great comments from everyone I would send a little update. Tonight is Marley's second night inside with me....I am on the 45th minute straight of loud whining and crying. It is really hard to occupy him with anything other than him wanting to stand at the door and cry or pace around the kitchen. I know this will take time but it is SO hard to see him so upset  :'(
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Evening #2 indoors...yikes
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 11:50:59 pm »
Give him a big soup bone or a Kong stuffed with peanut butter to keep him occupied.  Its a drastic change in his routine so make it worth his while!  If he is occupied then he won't be so worried about the 'burglars' outside

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 02:06:24 pm »
The lazar pointer is a great suggestion!  Kana goes nuts for it!  He is also winded afterwards... :P
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 07:03:41 pm »
Bones and laser pointers are both great ideas. My dogs will stay occupied with bones for quite a while (especially Sadie), and Riley loves to chase the red laser pointer dot. Sadie just likes chasing Riley around. She looks right at the pointer and has it all figured out. I think she thinks I'm crazy encouraging her to chase something she can't catch. But she seems really amused by Riley's reaction to it and runs after him.

Offline Cindi

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:55:39 am »
My vet recommended pigs ears to occupy them.  My puppy loves them and it keeps her chewing for a long while.
Good luck!

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:15:15 am »
Just thought after the great comments from everyone I would send a little update. Tonight is Marley's second night inside with me....I am on the 45th minute straight of loud whining and crying. It is really hard to occupy him with anything other than him wanting to stand at the door and cry or pace around the kitchen. I know this will take time but it is SO hard to see him so upset  :'(

I think you are doing the best to prevent the barking instead of the collar,I give bear lots and lots of chew stuff to keep him busy..pig ears,rawhides,kongs with food in them,pig snouts,sweet potatoe chews,toys..etc.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse