Author Topic: 4 hours of crying...sobbing really!  (Read 6526 times)

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: 4 hours of crying...sobbing really!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 01:46:03 pm »
I agree with Karateblossom. ..if your garage is set up correctly, dog proofed and climate controlled (insulated garage) then if that's where the dog will sleep, let him sleep there.  I agree that you have to commit to this and maybe he will never be an inside sleeper, but if you are okay with that for the long run, then okay. 
I posted a couple of weeks ago about Kana not wanting to come inside at night.  We all went back and forth about the reasons why (too hot inside, needs space)and the BPO'ers had great advice, but in the end you have to be comfortable to make your own decisions that fit your life and your dog.  If the dog is safe and quiet...what's the problem? 
The dog door is a great solution to the problem if it's feasable.  Tha's what we did. 
By the way, Kana's outdoor sleeping phase has come to an end.  He is back in the house at night, sleeping next to mom where she wants him  :-*
Please keep us updated about the progress!!! Hopefully you will have a resolution soon so that you can sleep soundly at night!!!!!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
Re: 4 hours of crying...sobbing really!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 10:17:34 pm »
Thank you everyone for all the advise!! I really appreciate your time letting me know how you have handled things. It helps.
As an update, Marley is coming in at night around 7pm and we play with him in the basement and he settles in while we watch a bit of tv. He seems to be ok down there when we are there and it gets him comfortable in the house bit by bit. At bedtime he goes into the garage. He whines for about 5-10 min still and it gets less each night. We set up a nice bed and some blankets and some of his favorite "guys" (stuffed animals). He seems settle in and go to bed just fine. The garage is attached to the house and half insulated - I added a heater/dehumidifier in there and it keeps the damp chill out but it is still really cold... Marley loves that though. I think that is one of the main reasons he has an uncomfortable time in the house. I am going to try an ultrasonic device to see if during the day it helps with the barking. He is outside from 5AM until he comes in at 7pm but I don't find the daytime barking as bothersome to most people compared to at night time.
For now it is working for us. When the ground thaws in the spring we are going to move his dog run and outside house into the back yard and fence in the yard on three sides and then maybe we can let him be in his glory of outdoors 24/7...
Thanks everyone! This site rocks! :)
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada