Author Topic: Scary night and BAD DOG  (Read 3686 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Scary night and BAD DOG
« on: January 22, 2008, 11:45:28 pm »
I had been working since 5:45 this morning and just got home about 7pm from a meeting in New Orleans (about an hour drive) this evening. As I got out of my car I hear this horrendous screeching coming from the backyard.

First I thought the dogs had cornered one of the stray cats that the neighbor feeds. Then, the screeching got louder and more pained sounding so I thought 'Tucky and Derby must be killing a possum or something. So I ran into the backyard and found 'Tucky on her back under Derby, who was standing, but it looked like 'Tucky had Derby's neck in her mouth and he was the one squeeling. I ran over and instantly checked for open wounds on Derby and found none.

Then, I noticed 'Tucky had Derby's collar in her mouth not his neck.  The collar was twisted around and nearly strangling him and she would NOT let go. I told her to "drop it" (a command she knows but hasn't quite mastered) and tried to pry her teeth apart, but she was having none of it.

Finally, the light bulb went off in my dumb head and I took Derby's collar off.

'Tucky has always played this game where she grabs Derby's collar and drags him around. She must have been doing this and flipped over on her back, twisting the collar and almost strangling him.

After I released the collar, they both started jumping around like nothing was wrong and "Oh, Joy! Mom's home!! HI MOM! PET ME NOW!!"

I don't know if I should be concerned that this will happen again when I'm not here or more concerned that sweet Derby wasn't smart enough to get himself out of that situation. I guess I'm going to have to find a break-away collar for him. Even though they are microchipped, I hate to leave their collars off when we're not home in case they get out. Not everyone around here is smart enough to have them scanned if they are found.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Scary night and BAD DOG
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:24:12 am »
Try soaking Durby's collar (or a new collar) with bitter apple. Wet it down, let it dry and soak it again then put it on him. This worked to stop collar chewing of our two pups.
THoM
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 10:51:45 am »
Wow, scary for sure.  I am glad you got home in time to save them.

My single experience with cat break away collars is that they do not always break when necessary.  The neighbor's cat, wearing a break away, got itself inside their box spring mattress and the collar got twisted on a loose wire.  We had to slash apart the mattress to get the cat loose.  Happy ending, but way scary for the cat and us.  I still have scars from the claws.

We do not put collars of any type on unattended animals.  Sparky is in a harness 24/7, and constantly attended, but that is just until he learns that trying to jump when being carried is a bad idea for a Chihuahua.  The harness makes a great handle.

Figuring risk is a tuff one.  My opinion is that if your dogs have never escaped, and you know that one has the habit of chewing the collar on the other dog, keeping the collars on is a greater risk than having them off.  

Side note on risk and collar types...Haltis and other head harness are more likely to cause spinal injuries than neck collars.  My Vet. and all the trainers I know recommend not using them due to the risk.  

I use a dual system: the dog has a harness and a collar linked with a splitter so that the first leash correction is felt on the neck, but if they continue to pull, the force gets transferred to the harness saving their necks.  With big stubborn dogs like my Zita, they get the collar with the plastic-tipped prongs for lesson 1.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 01:47:00 pm »
Wow! Great advice everyone! Thanks. I checked out the link for the keepsafe collars, Stella, and almost swallowed my tongue while reading the testimonials. There is one where the dog died due to an identical incident that I came across last night.

I think, until I get the breakaway collar, I will take Derby's collar off while they are outside and we are not home. They have escaped from the yard before, but if one gets out, they will both get out and follow each other. So, if someone finds 'Tucky with her collar and tag, they will also find Derby.

Once again, you guys are wonderful!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:07:06 pm »
Issy does the same thing to Daphne's collar.  So I just started taking Daphne's collar off since she is chipped, and now that Issy is too she doesn't wear a collar at home either!!  I'm glad that both are ok though!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline choppersmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 01:28:12 pm »
I put Chopper and Butch in harneses instead of Collars.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 10:15:49 pm »
none of mine wear collars unless we are heading out somewhere..the y are chipped...but I think in some places a license tag is required on your dog at all times...

I think I am even in one of those places...but 99% of the time we are home or someone is..

They sure know what happens when the collars come out though..

the way our guys play I would worry about something like that happening..not that they shew on eachothers collars..but they do chew on eachother...in a playful way..

Tricia and the fur kids