Author Topic: What a WHIRLWIND of a week (sorry, it's loooonnnnggggggggg)...  (Read 4044 times)

k2campbell

What a WHIRLWIND of a week (sorry, it's loooonnnnggggggggg)...
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:43:48 am »
My gosh, this week has been a doozy! :P ::) ;)

1st - As some of you know, my hubby Eric's little bro (Darcy) was signed to the NHL last year by the Columbus Blue Jackets. He played one NHL game last year then was sent down to the Blue Jackets' farm team (AHL) in Syracuse, NY. Eric and I really, really wanted to go to NY sometime this year for a trip, but we just couldn't afford it...we kept waiting for seat sales and they just never happened  :P ::)

ANYWAYS...his team was scheduled to play two games in Winnipeg, Manitoba tonight and tomorrow night. So, seeing as NY was never going to happen for us, we decided to book a small family trip to Winnipeg to watch Darcy play (nothing like leaving a lovely freezing Alberta winter to go on a trip to the even more bitterly cold Manitoba winter in the middle of a deep freeze)!!! :D :D :D Well, we were packed and ready to leave Tuesday morning (we were leaving a day ahead of time to let Blake settle-in at the hotel after flying) when we got a call from Darcy saying he had just been traded to the Colorado Avalanche and would be playing for their farm team (AHL) in Lake Erie!!! :o :o :o WHAT? We were just about to go to the airport!!!  ::)

So, trip cancelled!!!  ::) BUT...we're SO HAPPY for Darcy, being traded to the Avalanche is AWESOME and a much better opportunity for him  ;) He should be able to put in his time with the farm team in Lake Erie and be up to the big team in Colorado within a year or so...hopefully  ;) So Julie (JuJu) we may be coming to visit you sometime!!! ;D ;D ;D

Here's a link about Darcy for those who follow hockey or are interested. Kinda cool, thats my bro-in-law they're talking about!

http://avalanche.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=350850&page=NewsPage&service=page

Ok. So that was done and overwith...tho se with children know how much I packed for Blake and had to put back! Ha ha ha... ::) :D ;)

2nd - So yesterday after all of this Darcy business, my Dad calls me. He was straining in his voice (I could tell he was in pain). My Dad is the type of person that will NEVER go to the doctor unless it's a life/death situation...st upid, I know! ::) Anyhow he said he couldn't pee for over 24 hrs and was on the verge of passing out...HELLO!!! :o :o :o NOT GOOD! :P :-\ He (of course) wouldn't take an ambulance...so I had to rush him to the hospital (with Blake with me) and he almost passed out on the way there! :o I called 9-1-1 on the way (I was going to just ask for an ambulance) and can you believe they friggin' PUT ME ON HOLD???!!! >:( >:( >:( Oooooooooh...w as I mad! Don't even want to think of repeating what I said to them once I was taken off hold! Blake should have been wearing earplugs!!! :-X :-X :-X

Well after 4+ hours...my Papa was ok! ;D His prostate was enlarged BUT there was no sign of cancer  :) Of course they scheduled a follow-up (which I'm taking him to) to ensure it's nothing serious, but we found out it's actually normal for it to swell at his age (he's 61). WHEW...that was SCARY! ::) The poor guy had 2.5 litres of pee in him that couldn't come out...no wonder he just about passed out! :( I mean come on...that would hurt, and we all know what men are like with pain! ::) :D (Sorry guys)... ::) ;)

So I guess the morale of the story is everything happens for a reason. Darcy was traded and our trip was cancelled cause who knows what would have happened to my Papa otherwise if I wasn't around!  ??? ::)  ;)

I'm now just looking forward to a quiet and uneventful weekend! :D

Edited to add: I shouldn't have titled this "whirlwind of a week" I should have titled it "was only two days but feels like a week"!!! :D ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 04:51:17 am by k2campbell »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: What a WHIRLWIND of a week (sorry, it's loooonnnnggggggggg)...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 04:56:30 am »
Wow!  That is A WEEK!  Agh.  Yes, I can imagine how much stuff you must have packed for Blake (especially in the winter).  What a chore to pack & unpack all of that for the three of you, but you're right about everything happening for a reason.  I used to stress out whenever something happened to derail our plans, but now I just figure that there must be a reason why the plans changed (and there often are).  Thank goodness you were there to help your Dad & to be his advocate when he got to the hospital.  2.5 liters (cringe)???  That must have been pure torture for the poor man.  I'm so glad that your dad is feeling better now and that this trade is a better opportunity for your BIL.  :)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Nicole

Re: What a WHIRLWIND of a week (sorry, it's loooonnnnggggggggg)...
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:43:59 pm »
WOAH KELLY! I am a total believer in things happening for a reason. That is so great that you were able to get your dad to the hospital. 2 liters of pee?! OOOOOOOOOOOOOW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWW!

(that hurts especially bad now that I am 6 months pregnant!)

and YAY for Darcy! That RULES! How amazing to have a famous BIL!!!