Author Topic: Any one gone through this??!  (Read 3045 times)

Offline redbean

• Gnawer
  • The Baby Bear
    • View Profile
Any one gone through this??!
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:56:24 pm »
hi,iv a 8 mth pmd and jst found out he has severe hip dysplasia in both hips and needs both hips replaced wen he's finished growing, he already has arthritis in his hind joints, any one have a simular problem wif der dog and did the op help? any advice would be greatly appreciated as u prob guess im gutted and unsure of what road to take.
Bear - 6mths, Pyrenean Mountain Dog
Zuez - 8mths, Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bruizer - 11mths, English Bull Terrier

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Any one gone through this??!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:40:52 pm »
have you talked to the breeder? Usually the breeder would have given you some assurence against hip displasia...di d they do an OFA on the parents? Poor puppy!!!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:34:09 pm »
HD, even severe, can often be managed medically for years if not for life.  The puppy should be started on glucosamine- at least 2000 mg per day to help lubricate his joints.  Even better if you can find a supplement also with condroitin and msm.  It is critical that he lose weight and be kept on the thin side and exercise should be light to moderate.  Often you need to wait a few weeks to begin to see the effects of the glucosamine but he should remain on it for life.  Surgery can be frequently avoided and a lesser surgery is just the removal of the femoral heads when pain can no longer be controlled. 

Offline grtpyrluvr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:21:37 pm »
Supplements with glucosomine and others are great, also add 100% pure shark cartilage and bone meal to the diet. Glucosomine will keep the joints lubricated but the shark cartilage and bone meal will go to the bones and that's where your pup needs the support right now. I've also found than keeping the dog moving is better than slowing down on the exercise. You don't have to go crazy just keep a regular exercise program daily. You can also use Yucca for pain control. What kind of food are you feeding?

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:12:02 pm »
I'm so sorry that you are going through this and with such a young puppy at that.  Though his age may be an advantage in a way, perhaps the ortho vet will have more options for him since he's not so likely to have arthritis in the joints yet.  I want to second (or third) the suggestion for gluc/chond/MSM supplement.  We've been using it for years for our dogs and it works wonders at helping give them comfort and better range of motion. My parents have given their sweet old mixed breed dog another 5 yrs or more of happy life by giving her this supplement.  They were told when she was 10 y/o or so that they would have to put her to sleep due to severe arthritis pain, but she's 15 now and doing still doing well with the supplement and a mild pain reliever given by the vet.

There is a lot that you can do for your pup.  Between the vet's recommendation s, supplements, changes to your lifestyle (no stairs, jumping, etc.) I'm sure that you'll be able to help him.  Please give him a kiss for me and let us know how it goes. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline redbean

• Gnawer
  • The Baby Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 06:26:23 am »
thanks for all your help, he is on gluc/chond/MSM supplements and they do seem to help him he can stand upon his own now. he was never a very active pup any way,the vet suggested swimming, but told me to get himto da beach with out walkin:/ but i do walk him down (its jst 5mins) but since he has been on all the medication he seems agressive. its got sobad that he actually bit our staffie Zues on da nose which is a nasty wee bite. im afraid to let him off to swim on his own, and idont know if u know how cold da irish sea is!! but other then that i'll take all your advice and hopefully he will get even better. Thanks for everything!! any other peop with suggestions or peop who have gone tru it advice wud be greatly appreciated. thanks again xx
Bear - 6mths, Pyrenean Mountain Dog
Zuez - 8mths, Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bruizer - 11mths, English Bull Terrier