Author Topic: Got my TempurPedic mattress!!  (Read 2867 times)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Got my TempurPedic mattress!!
« on: January 27, 2008, 02:29:44 pm »
I posted a couple months ago about TempurPedic after sleeping on one during an overnight pet-sitting job.  At first I insisted I would never get one because they were so expensive....b ut I got to thinking about how much time we spend in bed and the three herniated discs in my back and how nice it would be to walk upright in the morning and how much my uncomfortable conventional mattress cost....and pretty soon I was obsessed with getting a TempurPedic, lol.

Well, I finally got one this weekend!!  Delivery was a bit of a nightmare, the truck couldn't get up into our subdivision (12% grade entrance hill covered with snow, and delivery guys from the flat part of Maryland who were completely out of their element up here and without snow driving skills, lol).  We ended up taking the mattress and box springs out of the truck right there on the street and strapping them to the roof of my car to get them to the house, lol.  The delivery guys rode with us and were just in awe at the cold (even though it was 22 degrees...what we consider balmy in January) and the snow (even though we only have about 10 inches....a foot less than we had a couple weeks ago) and our ability to drive in it (as if we have a choice, lol!).  When we got the mattress into the house we had to leave it in the foyer for a few hours to thaw out....memory foam gets very hard in the cold, and after 4 hours in the delivery truck you could knock on it like plywood!  After it softened up we spent 30 minutes wrestling it up the stairs....it bends, but is quite heavy and has no handles!  FINALLY, we got it on the bed.

I have slept on it for 2 nights now, and here is my first "review":

It takes some time to get used to....it is harder than a regular mattress and not bouncy at all.  If you flop down on it, you hit with a THUD, lol.  In the morning my back muscles are a bit achy, but my spine feels great (that may not make much sense to people without back problems, but it's the best way I can describe it!). 

I *LOVE* the way the foam oozes up into my back when I lay on it.  Keeps my spine straight no matter what position I am in. 

Because you sink into the foam, it cradles you and keeps you in position.  On a regular mattress I couldn't sleep on my side unless I had pillows to prop me up (always felt like I was rolling, and it hurt my back). 

I was a bit concerned about the TempurPedic "sleeping hot".  I *detest* being hot, especially when I sleep.  But, although it does sleep warmer than a regular mattress, I find it to be cozy!

I'd read that TempurPedics have a chemical smell that takes days to fade....but ours didn't smell at all.  I took a nap on it only a few hours after we set it up, and didn't notice a thing.

When I do zonk out, I sleep like a baby....like a rock...like the dead.  No tossing and turning.  No waking up whenever my husband moves around.  Even when Bodhi jumps up on the bed (which he does alot because he LOVES this mattress!) I don't feel a thing.  I slept for almost 9 hours last night....I can't remember the last time I slept that long!

So far I am very happy with the mattress and highly recommend it!  We got the TempurPedic Classic, which is one of the "cheaper" ones.  It was about $2,800 for a King size mattress and foundation (which is basically just regular box springs with plywood....the foam really should have a flat surface....you can use regular box springs, but it will void the TempurPedic warranty).  I'm hoping it turns out to be well spent!
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Got my TempurPedic mattress!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 02:34:01 pm »
It sounds like you got a bargain.  Hopefully your back will continue to get better as time goes on, with the additional support.  I love my pillows made from this stuff, but could not even contemplate giving up my waterbed. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Got my TempurPedic mattress!!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 05:49:06 pm »
That's good to know!!  I totally get the spine feels great but back is achy!!  I too have back issues and have started waking up quite frequently with both arms totally asleep and my shoulders throbbing!!!  Apparently I sleep right on my shoulder, must be pinching that brachio nerve!!  But it's so hard to find a comfortable position!  What kind of warrenty does it have, and what is the life expentancy?
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix