Author Topic: Do you switch your dogs food monthly?  (Read 3900 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Do you switch your dogs food monthly?
« on: January 29, 2008, 01:41:34 pm »
I have read some intersting articles that suggest switching your dogs food Weekly or monthly, This will help keep allergies from forming to the food and also encourge better eating with a change in food taste.I have read that to pick 4 of your top brands in mind to switch between.
using foods that are comparable to each other of course.

Does anyone of you do the Ole switcharoo?

Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Do you switch your dogs food monthly?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 02:41:41 pm »
nope Kid's been on the same brand since i've had him
and so have chav and porter

My mum's husband (not a step dad so don't say it lol) has Arkyd's brother Eli and he started doing that now because the dog is so used to different tastes etc they find it real hard to get him to eat. some days he eats then he'll go nearly a week with out eating and they've even tried human food to get him his appertite back
And in the bigger picture this has stunted his growth and he stands nearly 3 inches shorter than arkyboy and weighs nearly 50lbs less
and when they were pups 2-5 months they were growing pound to pound until Ed started that experiment

thats my opinion

pic: Eli and his friend Griz

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 02:53:59 pm »
I do not out of fear of the possible vet bills mine would have from GI upset. However I do have a client who buys a different brand with each bag. One visit she will be on kibbles n bits the next innova...her vet suggested it years ago and seeing shes now 10 and acts 2 it surely has not hurt.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:30:49 pm »
We switch  Jazmines food whenever we run out.  She does no have a sensitive stomach (thank God) and never has an issue when we switch foods.  TITan on the other hand had horrible cannon butt when we switched foods...well goodness...he still does pass the worst gas in the world!!!!!!! clear a room i tell you. Feeding titan raw has been wonderful, although he still has bad gas
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:31:42 pm by jaz and titan »

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:27:19 pm »
In the past I have been on a huge hunt for something that Farley actually liked. So we were changing often. Puck has booty blowouts so now we stick to one food that Farley seems to like.( for the mean time  ::) )

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 11:48:38 am »
After lots of research and speaking to several vets i have decided to switch between 4 top quality dog foods,each are a different meat source,this way they get there different meats ;D and other things these foods have to offer.
(if there is any stomach upsets of course I will back off of this program,my 2 older dogs have rock solid stomaches ;D do not think with them it will be a problem,the Pyr Pup,Bear..we will have to see.

Diamond Naturals(Lamb)
Innova(Turkey,Chicken)
Natural Balance(Chicken,Herring,Duck meal)
Tast of the Wild (Salmon)
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 02:16:55 pm »
Well, we switch Cabeza occasionally. Not monthly, but occasionally. We used to have him on Wysong. It was OK, but even Dr. Wysong recommends rotating for variety and completeness. So, I would switch the Wysong varieties. I also was throwing in some Nature's Variety Raw Instinct every other month or so.

Then, we put him on Evo exclusively. For some reason, no matter how little I fed him, he was getting fat. I put him on Innova large-breed and he's been keeping his weight nice and trim. I'm not sure what the deal is, as Dr. Holly has informed me that Innova large-breed his higher in calories per cup than Evo, but it's worked. I don't know. Maybe he digests it slower.

Anyway, I digress. We haven't switched him in awhile, but he does get lots of add-ins. He gets meats and yogurt and peas and stuff like that.