Author Topic: Hard lump on stomach  (Read 30605 times)

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Hard lump on stomach
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:04:16 pm »
Ok...here I go again.  Sorry to be such a worrywart about things, but I recently (2 days ago) was giving Cooper a belly rub and noticed a hard lump on his stomach.  He "had" an umbilical hernia, but that has been gone for about a week now.  This new lump is lower on his stomach, harder, and about the size of a marble.  Cooper is not sensitive to the touch of it.  He is still acting fine, eating a ton (he loves his new organic food!), running around outside like a nut, and is finally understanding that the lawn and woods are his bathroom!  ;)  Anyone have any idea what this could be? 
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Hard lump on stomach
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 12:19:17 am »
Can you move it around, like it is just in the skin, or does it seem to be attached to something underneath the skin?  My springers, when they were a year or so old, started getting what I called fatty lumps.  They were hard, but I could move them around with their skin.  The vet said they were nothing to worry about and the older they got, the more of them they had.  Our female got smaller, hard lumps that had to be lanced and drained.  I would call my vet and describe it to them.  It is probably nothing, but I would want to be sure.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:27:00 am »
when Arkyd got his first round of shot he had a small hard marble sized lump on his neck and the vet said it was a mild allergic reaction to the shots

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 04:50:38 am »
Called the vet today...by my description, he thinks Cooper has another hernia of some sort.  He didn't seem too worried and said as long as it didn't bother him or suddenly grow a lot, then it can wait until to be looked at when he gets neutered at the end of March.  Phew....I feel a bit better about it now.   
Kaitlen

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:23:08 pm »
Grace has a lump on her bully too from an umbilical hernia.  the day i got her fixed i forgot to tell the vet to sew it up.  the vet said when she was in there doing her thing she didn't see a problem with it...and now grace has "an outtie".   they check it once in a while to make sure it's not opening up and it's always been fine.  she's 3 and has lost no insides to the outsides.

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 12:21:58 am »
Just something to think about - waiting until your puppy is grown prior to neutering.  It seems that most vets are still recommending spaying and neutering before the dogs bone growth plates are closed despite the current research. This is especially relevant in large and giant breeds.  You can find some additional information by searching this forum.  I still lay awake at night regretting the fact that we had Cirra spayed at eight months and she ended up with an cruciate injury.  We were not aware of the correlation until she hurt her knee.  The vet did not inform us about the risks of spaying despite asking numerous times.  There are pros and cons to everything however I support people making informed choices and I know we did not have all the information. 

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 08:54:32 am »
Just something to think about - waiting until your puppy is grown prior to neutering.  It seems that most vets are still recommending spaying and neutering before the dogs bone growth plates are closed despite the current research. This is especially relevant in large and giant breeds.  You can find some additional information by searching this forum.  I still lay awake at night regretting the fact that we had Cirra spayed at eight months and she ended up with an cruciate injury.  We were not aware of the correlation until she hurt her knee.  The vet did not inform us about the risks of spaying despite asking numerous times.  There are pros and cons to everything however I support people making informed choices and I know we did not have all the information. 

That is something that I have never heard about before, but I will now definitely research it!  Did you have Cirra spayed in BH or do your go up to Brewer?   

And the belly bump is smaller today (size of a dime) and is much softer.  I guess I kind of jumped the gun on getting all worried about it.  But I would never forgive myself is it had been something really bad and I had put it off...after all, he is my little(big) baby!  ;) 
Kaitlen

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 10:07:37 pm »
The lump is gone!!!!   ;D 
Kaitlen