Author Topic: Wake at the drop of a hat,Anyone elses?  (Read 3711 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Wake at the drop of a hat,Anyone elses?
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:02:07 pm »
My Pyr Pup Bear is 13 weeks today ;D

I cant catch him sleeping to take a picture of him,he will be in a dead sleep and snoring and he hear my camera open and wake up quickly growling and barking...I cant even sneak past him while he is sleeping to go to the other room...he can wake up and be alert quicker then i have ever seen any dog before in my life! and being a puppy that is suppose to sleep alot and sound he does but wakes with a pin drop and alert in a  matter of seconds,cant get nothing past him at all!

Is this him or the trait of the breed?
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Wake at the drop of a hat,Anyone elses?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 01:10:21 pm »
I would say it is a trait of the breed. Since they are Livestock Guardians, they are sort of constantly on guard-even when sleeping. I think eventually Bear will sleep through things such as you walking past, and the everyday sounds associated the your household. Now, when there is an unusual sound (such as the sound of the camera, or a knock at the door), Bear will most likely wake up.

Basically what I'm tryin to say is, once Bear gets used to his surroundings, he won't wake up at the drop of a pin UNLESS it is an unusual sound-something that doesn't happen everyday.

Am I making sense? I sure feel like I'm rambling, and I still can't get out what I'm trying to say. hahaha :D
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 01:41:46 pm »
Ha ha!  Yes, it is a breed trait for Bear to be constanly alert like that.  But once he gets a little older and more familiar with say the way you sound when you walk past him, or the sound of your camera, he will ignore those noises and keep on sleeping.  I know nothing but the sound of the cookie bag opening will wake up Naja when she's out.  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 02:03:03 pm »
Bear has been in the dinning room where he is now since he was 10 days old,I would think he would be very familiar with the sounds by now :-\,camera,me walking past..etc..yes terday a bird flew over the house and chirped,Bear woke up from a dead sleep and barked!He Should be familiar with family sounds by now ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 02:14:22 pm by GreatPyr »
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 02:14:25 pm »
He is just a baby- he will mellow out as he ages.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 02:17:22 pm »
As he gets older then he will only bark at things like the neighbor 5 houses down pulling in his driveway  (:

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 02:31:18 pm »
Patrick, you are so right.  Most LGD's are always alert, even when sleeping.  Cody can be snoring and if I shift in my chair, he will open one eye.  It takes a while for them to learn which sounds are important to alert (bark)on and which ones are nothing.  A neighbor coming home is obviously important to some dogs.  Kids walking by the houes is important to my dogs and lets not forget the terrorist squirrels that have their meetings on the roof of my screen enclosure.  You have to teach your dog what is important to let you know about and what isn't.  I have obviously not done a good job with that.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 02:59:28 pm »
As he gets older then he will only bark at things like the neighbor 5 houses down pulling in his driveway  (:

We live out where there are no neighbors :o Reason for keeping Bear out of the litter of 3 i raised,protection to us in the middle of nowhere...ha.. ha..
Tigger-barn kitty