Author Topic: New Dog  (Read 9067 times)

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: New Dog
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 08:12:03 pm »
Yes i can, but you know how pyrs are.  They are more territorial at home than someone else's ground.  So he may be fine there but have problems at home.  I want to take no chances, i dont want to give this little puddle of love false hope  :'(

My pound also has a 'meet and greet' area.  They require it as well before bringing a new one home.  I feel like others that have commented that you never know how dogs will get along unless they spend some time together in the place they will live.  My pound also has a 'no questions asked' return policy.  Of course, you don't get your adoption fee back, but they will allow a return if it goes that badly.  Plus, the newbie is a puppy which means that most likely he will give up his belly to the older dog in the house and learn how things work from him.
Good luck, he sure is adorable!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 08:27:41 pm »
He is Adorable! I love his face :D

I cant help you with the pyr get along question much..I have a 13 week old pyr that i have been asking the same questions for the future..ha..ha ..
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

marypyrs

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 08:43:44 pm »
I don't know how it would work out for your family, but often times the herding types - BC & Aussie - are just too "hyper" active for the Pyrs. They find them irritating and do NOT appreciate being "herded" themselves.  :-\

But I do think it's a case by case/dog by dog type of a thing.

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 08:57:03 pm »
well this may not be super helpful, but I recently came with my bernese puppy Sammy to spend some time visiting my parents and their nine-year-old golden, Maize. At first, Maize was NOT a fan of Sam- she'd always been an only dog, and you know, she's the boss of her house, and older, and set in her ways, and frankly has never been crazy about other dogs. But from that inauspicious start, they're now great friends, and Maize is the bigger instigator of the two of their little wrestling matches. So I don't know if you can predict easily how well two dogs will get along from a first interaction. I tend to think you'll be just fine, but I don't really know anything about a pyr personality.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 09:20:28 pm »
I just remembered that the lady who was fostering Jake had approximately 7 pyrs at the time, some fosters, some hers.  She raises sheep and goats and all of her dogs were outside together with the livestock.  She also had 2 aussies.  She did not have problems with them, but the aussies respected the pyrs and only chased and played with each other.  They were not exactly close friends with them.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 12:19:20 am »
We decided against getting the little scrap but hes young enough that someone will pick him up.  Thanks everyone for the great input!!!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 12:22:35 am »
If you do decide to get an Irish Wolfhound eventually, I can personally tell you they are great dogs and Max and Jake play together constantly.  They are the very best of friends. 
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 12:55:17 am »
I don't know how it would work out for your family, but often times the herding types - BC & Aussie - are just too "hyper" active for the Pyrs. They find them irritating and do NOT appreciate being "herded" themselves.  :-\

But I do think it's a case by case/dog by dog type of a thing.

I realize that this is a mute point now, however, Tipper is part Shetland Sheepdog and has a strong herding instinct and high energy level and he and Jenny, my Pyr, get along wonderfully. They play and wrestle together and sleep together, too. I do really think it's more about the individual dogs involved.  :)
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 03:08:25 am »
We decided against getting the little scrap but hes young enough that someone will pick him up.  Thanks everyone for the great input!!!

Where do you live? ie: where is that cutie?? I have been toying with the idea of a second dog as a companion for Marley and boy does he look like a little snugger!!
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 03:08:29 pm »
I live in Salt Lake City.  But as a crazy add on to this story, i took my husband to the animal shelter to look at some other dog, thinking that that boy was so cute he would have to be gone.  When we got there he was!!!  The tags on his cage were gone, he was adopted... :'(  It is a happy thing but still i would have loved to see the little man one more time.  I turn around and there is a man in the walk in area with him!!!!  I go up and introduce myself and pet the puppy and ask the man if he was the adopter.  yes, and no, he says.  Hubby and i walk off for a good hour or so, getting to know other dogs and the man finds us and asks us to take him!!!!  He is a foster dad and people had been trying to steal the puppy who wouldnt know how to take care of him!!!  There was a plethra of people there trying to adopt the puppy but he said that the only way that puppy was leaving was with my hubby and i or him.  We didnt exchange any info, but this puppy is hunting me down!!!  So if i see him again i know that it is meant to be true!!!!  We will see!!!!    ;D

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 03:35:25 pm »
Here is a new pic of my husband and the little tyke!!!