Author Topic: Mandatory spay/neuter passed in LA  (Read 12183 times)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Mandatory spay/neuter passed in LA
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 08:37:13 am »
Starting this year in San Bernardino County, California, a bit east of LA County, to register a spayed or neutered dog is $15.00 or $9.00 for owners over age 65.  Unaltered dogs cost $96.00.  It will be interesting to see how many unaltered dogs mysteriously disappear from the rolls.

The LA law has not actually passed yet.  It has preliminary approval and will undergo a second reading next week.  It will most likely pass.  Here is a summary of which dogs can be legally excluded from the order: 

The proposal includes exemptions for animals who show and have competed in at least one legitimate show or sporting competition; dogs that are in the process of earning an agility, carting, herding, protection, rally, hunting, working or other title; guide, signal or service dogs; dogs that are used by law enforcement agencies; and animals with valid breeding permits.

I should set up a business bringing my pygmy goat to Los Angeles and giving herding lessons.  I don't actually know how to do that, so the "process" will take a really long time.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 08:47:04 am »
I can just see it now.  Lots of poorly bred, poorly handled, poorly groomed dogs competing in everything from herding to conformation.  "Okay, I showed him.  Now leave me alone."  LMAO
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 10:43:05 am »
For me this is a HOT topic.
On the plus side we possibly could reduce the number of dogs that are being put to sleep on a daily basis in the US. Also if someone is required to spayed/neutered or have thier dog in some type of training, then just think of all of the dogs that are now going to benefit from that training. I did notice that they did not specify that the dog had to be a purebreed dog to be exempt because of the training.
Also there is the clause that if the vet feels that 4 months is too early, then you can wait until the animal is considered old enough to be spayed/neutered as per the vets recommendation . What this is going to do is make people seek out the advice and have a vetrinarian involved in the animals care.

I would like to see restrictions put on breeders, not to hurt the legitimate breeders but there has to be some control of the BYB's and the puppy mills. Its not the honest decent breeders that are causing the harm.

Now how is it going to be enforced? Who is going to enforce? Is this just going to be one more law that is on the books but no one has time to enforce?

We have a law here in Texas. No tethering for more than 3 hours per day. We can not get the local Sheriffs dept to enforce this law. The local Sheriffs dept states that it is not a valid law, even though we have provided them proof.We are now having the attorneys who helped to draft the law contact this law enforcement entity. There is a Pyr that is living on a 4 foot chain which is clearly violating that law.

Then lets go to the fact that as Maxsmom pointed out- Poorly bred dogs from BYB's and Mills who are able to get the permits or somehow bypass the permits limitations.

Are we now going to make the average mutt an endangered species? Or, since they are now called Designer Dogs, maybe that is going to be approved.

I have had some wonderful mixed breed dogs in my life, will we only have poorly bred purebreed dogs? ( I say purebred loosely )

There has to be some way to stop the killing of innocent dogs and cats, but I think that we need to focus on the BYB's and the puppy mills first.

Maybe this law will bring more people to the forefront who otherwise would not get involved, to help modify the law for the better. As a rescuer, I am overwhelmed at times with grief for the ones I had to say no to because of lack of space or funds.

I guess I am looking for the "perfect" world.